Monitor/computer turn on issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I was hoping to get some information on what could be wrong with my computer when turning on. When i booted up this morning i got a weird looking frozen interpretation of my windows log on page
When i turn the computer on the monitor does not boot up. I unplugged everthing and plugged it all back in and tried again. same thing.

I did notice that with the computer completely unplugged, when i connect the monitor, the no-signal box goes away. I would think that the computer would need to be on for it to recieve a signal?

This only happend this morning, so I took the case off, cleaned a little bit and started checking all of the connections. Unfortunately i do not have another monitor to try. I am going to try again in another 2 hours. Anything else i should try?

Thanks in advance

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Sometimes if you re-seat everything video, sound, ram, it can sort out things.
If this is p4 system check the power connectors on the motherboard.
Could you tell us more abou this system?

Its an E-machines (i know, i know) I believe its a pentium 4.

I'm not really too computer literate.

I tried again at lunch. This is what happened:

I turned on the pcu without the monitor connected. As soon as i connected the monitor, the pcu shut down. I disconnected the monitor and tried again, same thing. Could this be a short? or the sign of a bad video card?

I tried again and it wont even power up. The fan turns on for a second, then shuts back down. I tried a different outlet, same results. I havent yet tried a different power cable.

Anything else I could try besides reconnecting all of the internal connections?

thanks again

brandonchino said:
Its an E-machines (i know, i know) I believe its a pentium 4.

I'm not really too computer literate. You knew enuff to get here!
I tried again at lunch. This is what happened:

I turned on the pcu without the monitor connected. As soon as i connected the monitor, the pcu shut down. I disconnected the monitor and tried again, same thing. Could this be a short? or the sign of a bad video card?

I tried again and it wont even power up. The fan turns on for a second, then shuts back down. I tried a different outlet, same results. I havent yet tried a different power cable.

Anything else I could try besides reconnecting all of the internal connections?

thanks again
Do you have onboard video or separate video card?
My guess would be, either Psu (power supply) or faulty MoBo (motherboard).
Doing a bare bones setup may be needed to zero in on the culprit.
Bare bones=
1. cpu
2. ram
3. MoBo
4. video card w/ monitor
5. Psu
6. front panel connectors
7. keyboard w/o mouse

Un-hook (data cables and power)from Hardrives, Cdroms, Floppy etc.,
pull out sound cards, nic etc.

With this setup if it still won't boot, then switch the ram or remove some
if have multi sticks

What we're attempting, is to get you to the bios screen & eliminate
possible causes.

Some E-munchers have proprietary psu's and do have proprietary MoBo's.

Have no fear and ask anything you are not sure of before doing it.

G'Luck

Thanks for your suggestions: I am not sure whether I have an on board video card or not. I also dont really feel comfortable unhooking things, so i just tried all the connections and unclipped and reclipped back in. It didnt work.

The PCU wont even try to power up at this point. It seems to me that a battery died or something, not sure if there even is a battery in PCU?? Well anyway, I think i will bring it to someone who knows what they are doing and what to look for. I have a feeling its the PSU, but we'll see....Im just hoping that i wont lose my hard drive for some reason...If nothing else, this will be a reminder to backup my important files...

thanks again!

for those following up:

I was told that from the repair shop that it is the power supply AND the motherboard..Is this something that can happen simultaneously? Is there something that could cause this, like a faulty monitor cable or something stupid? I just dont want to pay the $200 to get it fixed if whatever caused it, will cause it again...

thanks

brandonchino said:
for those following up:

I was told that from the repair shop that it is the power supply AND the motherboard..Is this something that can happen simultaneously?
Yes it happens just like that, quite often too.
Is there something that could cause this, like a faulty monitor cable or something stupid? I just dont want to pay the $200 to get it fixed if whatever caused it, will cause it again...

thanks
Make sure to ask before they do repairs, what brand & model
of MoBo and PSU, In most cases this should solve the original problem.
It would be alot cheaper for you to order the parts
but only if you are up to it.
G'Luck

im have a similar problem i was trying to install a dvd drive and after the disconnecting the cords and taking it to the person when i return the monitor wont turn on again and all the cords are plug in properly please help?

dowayne83 said:
im have a similar problem i was trying to install a dvd drive and after the disconnecting the cords and taking it to the person when i return the monitor wont turn on again and all the cords are plug in properly please help?
Hello Welcome to TS!
You will want to start a fresh post for your topic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back