Monitor goes black after Windows XP Splash Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewPCTech

Hi,

I am having a problem with my computer. I built it my self using the ASUS P5 WHD motherboard, intel core 2 duo running at 2.13Ghz, 300GB HDD, 1024MB or RAM. The first OS I installe was a trial version of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition. I had no problems what so ever. I decided to remove it and install windows XP pro. The setup went through without a problem but I have not been able to go beyond the splash screen. I was looking through the FAQ on the ASUS website and found that there are known problems with the MB BIOS recognizing Intel Core 2 Duo. I thought this might be the problem but checked the bios and it does recognize the type and frequency of the CPU. The pc also worked with windows 2003 server so I figure the bios is not the problem. I then read a previous post here with some1 who had the same problem and his problem was the video card. The only problem is how can i update the drivers if i cant boot to the os to begin with? Can I do it through dos? any instructions out there?

Let me know thanks.

Splash screen

The Windows splash screen is displayed using a generic vga driver. The screen goes blank as the video card drivers are loaded and then appears using the video card specific drivers. Your problem, most likely, is you video driver.
On boot up press F8 to get to the menu screen. Select start in vga mode.
You may be able to install/reinstall your video drivers now.
You can try starting in safe mode but you may not be able to install drivers.

monton

Interesting.. This happens to me as well but never at a consistent rate. It happens one time, I reboot it goes through. Same dianigosis?

Monton,

Thank you. This worked. I booted to safe mode and tried installing the video card drivers but received the error message "INF file not found' install generice VGA drivers". I finally gave up and got an updated video card. booted to safe mode, installed the drivers, and PC is now working great.

Thank you once again.

What would you suggest mor Mabans? Since his problem is intermitten do you think it would be a hardware problem? Maybe he swap the video for a known good once to see if that helps? Or find if they are updated drivers for the video card?

Probably hardware

If you video just goes blank or is intermittently "flaky" it may very well be the video card. I've just had that experience with a ATI X600 Pro card. Worked flawlessly then screen would blink off and on. Sometimes would get blank screen on boot. I reseated the card, checked to be sure fan was working. The problem persisted. I pilled the card and used the "on board" graphics and the problem went away.
Do you know some you could borrow a video card from to test with? Is the monitor functioning properly?

Windows goes blank after Startup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As said in the title, my windows goes blank, black screen that is, after the windows logo startup. I dont know wtf happen but this sh*$ is aggravating me. Last known activities were:
>Defragging
>Removing b.s programs
>and Moving media files (i.e audio and video)
I did all these activities in "SAFE MODE". After I "START WINDOWS NORMALLY" it appear to remain on "SAFE MODE". I repeated this a number of times, and the same thing happened. My contingency was to start on "LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION". After i selected this option, windows loaded normally, up untill after the windows logo, after which the screen became blank (Black). Although screen is blank, i could still navigate "blind".
Starting windows and shutting it down are about the only things i can do blindfolded. I dont have a windows xp cd, my computer was bought in 04'. I need some hardcore help.

I have the same problem, but my computer will freeze.

I have the same problem as this, but I can not enter safe mode. If I let the computer boot up, it will go black. I know its not frozen though because I can type in "start" "u" "enter" to get it to shut down once it logs on to windows. But if I try to boot into safe mode or VGA mode, the computer freezes up. I just installed windows xp...upgraded from 98, so I'm sure it has to do with a part that is too old. But I'm wondering if it might need something else other than a video card, since it is also freezing up.

Please help me somebody!!!! :)

Hi - I wonder if you guys could help me too as I have a similar problem.

When I turn the pc on the monitor goes blank after about a second or two. If I turn it off then on again it comes on for another second or two and then goes off again.

I tried starting it in VGA mode (on the third attempt of getting the buttons quick enought with very little display) but it still did it.

I know very little about pc's so any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

it works with ubuntu, so does that mean card is ok, is it just the drivers in the xp disk , or the boot disk? cannot get to safe mode without it stopping at agg something, cannot do chkdsk from command line. because it does not stay off of black screen long enough

If OK with Ubuntu it does not necessarily mean the card is OK, but it could mean that the refresh rate and/or colour depth assumed in windows is not workable by the card. See post #2 above for how to get at your video to change settings, starting from vga mode. Reinstalling the windows drivers (get the latest version) will normally set a reasonable refresh rate to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back