Monitor losing signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crampy

ok heres the problem. just reinstalled xp due to system running slow etc. boots up fine and everything works. after an unspecified time (sometimes 2 mins sometimes 2 hours) the monitor goes black and displays NO SIGNAL bouncin round the screen. sound still comes out the speakers. i have to reset the system to get the monitor back on. tried turnin monitor off and leavin for a bit and turnin back on but still NO SIGNAL. so far the problem has only occured whilst runnin games. nothing to power hungry tho. only playin empire earth. didnt have this problem before the reinstall. have the latest driver installed for vid card.

system
athlon 1.2
gainward gforce fx5600 256meg
512meg ram

Have you turned off everything related to your monitor in Power Options in the Control Panel? Oh yeah, check and disable power settings in the bios as well. Just a hunch, but one of those "should" work. Good luck.

AND welcome to TechSpot with your first post. :grinthumb

cheers masque. everything in the control panel is off. just been into bios and loaded original settings just in case its somehow changed itself? gonna install a few more games and see if it bombs out on those as well

Have you changed any settings in the properties of your vid card, such as turning Vsync off, i have seen this happen when this is off on some cards, Gforce 4 in particular, check to see if Vsync is enabled this may be the problem.

....also, just for grins, what type of motherboard are you using? I've got an old Tyan S2460 that is just giving me fits not posting. I believe it's a memory issue with this one though. Really persnickity......the Kingston memory HAS to have the Samsung chipset. Sheesh!

ok guys
stephen-ATI driver???? its nvidia
masque-its an elite group motherboard-thats all i know.not very technically minded,just like shootin things!!! beginnin to think an xbox is a good idea
terranova-cant even find where to alter vsync-am i being dim?
turned the pc on today and all the letters at the start up screen were jumbled and things then went mostly red! restarted and everythin looked normal but wont even play unreal 2003 now. jus locks up when i try to start it. when i press for task manager to end it the monitor loses signal HELP ME PLEASE- i havent shot anyone in days and the dog is looking very worried!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back