Monitor not receiving signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer looks to be booting fine. I can hear the hard drive spin and the HDD light comes on (it comes on solid and doesn't flash though). Monitor never powers up though and stays in the sleep mode with the orange LED light. This happened out of the blue this morning when I turned on the computer. The onboard sound card died about 2 months ago and computer still worked fine. I know its not the video card, I have cycled through my old pci express cards. My question is do you guys think it’s the Mobo or the CPU. I don't have access to a testing kit and can't remember if the monitor ever fired with out a cpu socketed in the board. I just need to know which part to send in for the warranty and if anyone found a tweak to fix this problem. Thanks for the help guys!!

ram going bad can cause the same problem. so you might ant to check your ram first.

if that sound card was integrated your chances for a mobo problem would have increased.. including if it was a psu/power spike or sorts that caused the sound to go..

look for physical damage/smells on the pc.. take special note on the mobo itself:
-does anything look wierd?
-any popped/funny looking shaped capacitors? (round cylindrical things on the mobo)
-burn marks/discolourations on the IC?

then..
-check ram as suggested above... -google memtest...
-check cable to the back of the monitor (even if its built in to it) is on properly.. wiggle if neccesary..
-turn on your speakers and then turn on the pc.. note how many beeps you get, and the pattern it give you or if it can POST
-check you have enough power running through your system: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
-try different monitor/monitor on different pc...

so many troubleshooting suggestions too little info... pc specs? anything else you did? environment changes recently (hard/software)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back