Monitor only goes to 16 colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsGini

I have 2 computers that I've been reformatting (for the kids) and one of them took the reformat of Win98, but it will only display 16 colors on the monitor. I've tried to do the reformat again, downloaded a driver for the monitor and I think I put that in successfully, but it still won't go any higher. (Not even stupid 256 colors!)

This is a monitor and computer that had 32 bit before the reformat. I had to reformat because the kids did something to blow up the IE browser... but it was a 'straight' reformat as far as what I did.

Any help getting this thing back up to 32bit?

go to device manager and see if there are any ! signs on top of the display adapters. if so, click on the inside of the plus sign. and click properties of the display adapter. click driver tab, and click update. you will need the win98 disk to see if the driver may be there. choose have disk, and let win98 find it. if this doesn't work, you may try downloading the display adapter driver from the maker's site. my guess is that this pc is newer than 98 and 98 doesn't have the driver for the display. if it had it, it would have installed it.

Cool! This worked...

I got it to 16 bit which is way better than it was.

Any ideas for getting 32 bit? I had to get Intel 82810 driver but now I still only get a 640 x 480 screen? If I get up to 32 bit then I can get 600 x 800, right?

iss said:
You need the driver for the video graphics chip or card. not for the monitor. use SIW to find out what graphics you have and download the appropriate driver.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/

when you reinstalled windows did you install the motheroard chipset drivers?

Look on the card itself for a model number and the manufactor name. I would suggest getting a free account at driversguide.com

I'm a computer technician, and it saves me a lot of time searching for drivers. If you can't find it, go to oldversion.com and get EVEREST Home Edition.

It'll show you the name, model, type, and manufactor of your videocard and anything else in the computer, it may even have a website FOR the driver download. Hope that helps...

First post, woot!

I can't find Everest Home Edition

and I need another way to find out exactly which one I need as I don't have a clue what I'd be looking for physically.

I'm going to do a search in google for the Everest proggy, I guess.

Schwizzle said:
Look on the card itself for a model number and the manufactor name. I would suggest getting a free account at driversguide.com

I'm a computer technician, and it saves me a lot of time searching for drivers. If you can't find it, go to oldversion.com and get EVEREST Home Edition.

It'll show you the name, model, type, and manufactor of your videocard and anything else in the computer, it may even have a website FOR the driver download. Hope that helps...

First post, woot!

Not unless that happened automatically

I'd have no idea how to or how to look for that.

Any suggestions are helping though... even if I'm crawling through this at a snail's pace I AM crawling!

iss said:
when you reinstalled windows did you install the motheroard chipset drivers?

The motherboad chipset drivers do not install with windows in 98. they are seperate drivers located on the computer makers or motherboard makers disk. if you dont have this then identify the motherboard maker and model using SIW. then go to that makers website and see if you can locate the drivers you need in their Download\support section of their site.

Thanks... between looking for this and I was able to get a Everest HE eval copy I have my work cut out for me today... I'll check back once I dig into it, with success or asking for more help!

Everest makes a .txt file from it's info scan. You can post it here and we can help identify your driver needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back