Monitor or Video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayG

Recently installed a new Radeon 9250 and in World of Warcraft I have noticed weird bright spots across the bottom of the screen, the center of them being white and the edges are all spectrum colors. A friend told me this was 'burn-in' and I shouldn't worry about it, but what exactly is burn in? Could it be artifacts? I've heard of them but I don't really know what they are. The monitor is an old CRT, I'm estimating around 8 years --- would it be that? It's been shaking a little bit (the screen) and it had trouble turning on today.

Thanks for the help.

grayG said:
Recently installed a new Radeon 9250 and in World of Warcraft I have noticed weird bright spots across the bottom of the screen, the center of them being white and the edges are all spectrum colors. A friend told me this was 'burn-in' and I shouldn't worry about it, but what exactly is burn in? Could it be artifacts? I've heard of them but I don't really know what they are. The monitor is an old CRT, I'm estimating around 8 years --- would it be that? It's been shaking a little bit (the screen) and it had trouble turning on today.

Thanks for the help.

It is most likely the card. What does you friend mean by "burn in"? Just to be sure; What computer do you have? What brand and model #? Better yet, what power supply and how many watts or how many amps are on the +12V Rail?

EDIT:
Does the screen have artifacts or "lines" outside of World of Warcraft?

It's probably your videocard, the 9200 series is pretty old and kinda sucks, what Bus slot do you have? ( PCI, PCI-e, AGP )

You should upgrade your videocard

If you only play World of Warcrack get this card:

if AGP get a 6800
if PCI-e get a 6800
if PCI get a 6200

You'll get great frame rates with those

If you want to upgrade your Monitor get a LCD, they show great picture and has great response time so the images are pretty good

The newegg listing said it was PCI, although I'm worried that it could be his psu not supplying enough power, although he hasn't reported any crashing or other signs, since World of Warcraft is "rough" on that card due to it's age and lack of speed and he does have a Dell.

TimeParadoX said:
It's probably your videocard, the 9200 series is pretty old and kinda sucks, what Bus slot do you have? ( PCI, PCI-e, AGP )

You should upgrade your videocard

If you only play World of Warcrack get this card:

if AGP get a 6800
if PCI-e get a 6800
if PCI get a 6200

You'll get great frame rates with those

If you want to upgrade your Monitor get a LCD, they show great picture and has great response time so the images are pretty good

Wouldn't an Radeon X1300 outpower the 6200 for the PCI Bus? :) World of Warcrack? :)

hi GrayG,
What you are describing sounds perfectly normal behavior with WoW and it's latest 2.0.1 patch. It required EVERYONE with older ATI cards to upgrade to the latest drivers, which was a problem since ATI dropped support for the 7000->9200 series long ago.

Since then, ATI has made one "last" set of drivers (mainly due to WoW and other games with wild patches) in the 6.11's in 11/2006 for 7000 -> 9200 series owners.

My best suggestion would be to hit ATI's website and update to the new 6.11 drivers in hopes of your visual anomalies going away. As you mentioned this problem doesn't occur on the desktop, but just in WoW... as well as the multicolored/white edge issue.. this is exactly what the 2.0.1 patch has introduced for Radeon's with older drivers.

Last tidbit- you'll need Microsoft's .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0 in order to use the new Catalyst Control Center. If you don't already have this installed, you can get it through Windows Update or download from Microsoft.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. My mobo only supports PCI, and I assumed the 9250 was more or less the best lest for that kind of slot. I received errors installing the drivers off of the CD that came with the card and also the drivers from ATI's site, so I had installed them from Diamond's site instead, and they worked. I'm also able to install the drivers from Visiontek, another manufacturer, which I'm running off of at the moment. I can't install ATI's drivers without getting a "setup did not find a driver compatible w/ your current hardware or operating system" and "try installing standard VGA drivers first." Should I just return the card for an nvidia? Unless there are other companies that have up-to-date drivers other than ATI's broken ones?

grayG said:
Thanks a lot. My mobo only supports PCI, and I assumed the 9250 was more or less the best lest for that kind of slot. I received errors installing the drivers off of the CD that came with the card and also the drivers from ATI's site, so I had installed them from Diamond's site instead, and they worked. I'm also able to install the drivers from Visiontek, another manufacturer, which I'm running off of at the moment. I can't install ATI's drivers without getting a "setup did not find a driver compatible w/ your current hardware or operating system" and "try installing standard VGA drivers first." Should I just return the card for an nvidia? Unless there are other companies that have up-to-date drivers other than ATI's broken ones?

They aren't broken, although you seem to be having a lot of problems over this card. If you want the best gameplay out of World of Warcraft, this is not the card to be using. Although still found in stores (at ridiculous prices may I add), this card is very old. The only problem that comes with a new video card is a power supply that can handle it. I will look up your computer and see what psu you have (the power output of it anyway).

EDIT:
You only have a 200-Watt PSU, so an upgrade w/o a new power supply is impossible and I highly do not suggest it. I'm sure you can get the drivers to work somehow. What driver version do you have now btw? Also, try to update your Windows with Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, which you can google and find a link to the download site on Microsoft (I would hope)

Wouldn't an Radeon X1300 outpower the 6200 for the PCI Bus? World of Warcrack?

Well I dont really like ATI because most games are designed with nVidia so the graphics are more better but ATI x1300 does have better clock speeds and more Pixel pipelines then the 6200 ;)

Also World of Warcrack is... :haha: I dont really see why alot of people play it, I usualy just go on and own noobs :D

Let's get one thing straight, WoW BLOWS. And nothing is worse than the people who play this game, jesus. I play because my good friends got sucked in and that's the only game they play anymore -- and I'm able to have a good time with them, even playing a ****ty game.

But back on topic:
I've heard Dell's PSUs are underrated. What are symptoms of a lack of power; I don't think that's the case here.

I just installed .NET framework 2.0 and went to install ATI's driver and got redirected to this URL: http://ati.amd.com/online/403/leech.asp

...wtf....

Is anyone able to download this?: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185.exe

If I'm averaging around 25 fps and ~15 fps in busy areas, is that what I should expect with a PCI card? Settings are maxed except for terrain distance which is on low. As long as performance is OK I don't have a huge problem with an unobtrusive distortion.

Hmm since it's a 9250 ( very old card ) you would expect that, but if you upgrade to the x1300 that cfitzals said then your performance will double and give you about 50-60 FPS with max settings and a good resolution, If you ever quit WoW you should build a system with a PCI-e bus slot and play some real games like F.E.A.R & Oblivion :D

-edit- added links -edit-

Here are some links to the ATI x1300:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814129063

Here is a link to the nVidia 6200:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139010

Here is a link to a Powersupply unit to upgrade to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

Personaly instead of sticking with this I would just build a whole new system, If you think about building you know where to ask! :D

Im with TimeParadox here that I would NOT recommend sinking any money into your old, obsolete, PCI-only system...

For now, I still say you should just simply download the Catalyst 6.11 drivers from ATI's site now that you have .NET Framework installed.

The links you are forwarding aren't from ATI's site. You are going to some .de extension and whatnot. Just go to:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp.html

And click the link for the Catalyst drivers on the middle/leftish side of the screen. With any luck, your 9200 series is indeed a genuine 9200 series and not some knock-off product.

grayG, if you need us to give you links to parts / help with building then just ask us and we could pick out parts for your budget and get the best performance it can!! :D

Thanks for all the help, but I'm not really interested in building a new system, seeing as this is more of a secondary computer anyway (at a different house). I mostly use my AMD X2 comp, with a pci-e 6600GT. I had a budget when I bought the card in mind, I figure 43 bucks for it isn't too horrible -- though I haven't submitted the rebate yet; then I wouldn't be able to return it. This computer doesn't have much more life in it, I know, that's why I'm a little nervous about dropping 80+ dollars into it. But as long as I got what I payed for?; and there isn't a better deal out there?; I'm OK.

And I installed ATI's drivers, I must have just needed the .NET framework. I'll post back if those spots show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back