Monitor Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need_a_Dell

I am interested in buying a Dell computer, but I am not pleased with the monitor that comes bundled with it. I heard from a friend that Dell computers are only compatible with Dell moniters. Is this true? Can I still use my old monitor?

Not to bug you about Dell, I'm sure they are a great evil corporation, If I were you I would build your own PC. Building your own PC isnt very hard if you have some basic knowlege or a experianced friend to help you. In the long run it is a better choice. If you don't have these skills or friends than this would't be a good choice. Dell Computers are compatible with other monitors. I have seen them hooked up, unless of course they have become more evil over the past few years and took some measure to block this, which would be stupid of them. logically if they have an option not to buy a monitor than obviously you dont need thiers. It is really just a matter of plugging in any old monitor to the right plug-in. Hope this helped, and you could understand it.

alright...

Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to build my own computer yet, so I'm going to stick with Dell. (You have to admit, the 4th gen XPS does look sweet!) Unfortunatley, the system comes with a monitor no matter what. So here's my next question. Would a Dell monitor be compatible with a non-Dell system?

you shgould shop around also besides dell, i have not much agent them but i think good sites will be www.hp.com or www.alienware.com those r sweet computers.. There good for games. But ot answer your question i dont see why not. i dont know if dell is stupid enoph to do such a thnig. i think it will work. But the only shore way is to do it for your self. or ask someone that baugfht a dell and see if it workes. I think that you could save 300-400 dollers by building. Im 13 and i wanna build my own system soon. But do look around. Please tel uis what you ur using your computer 4. (ex, games, auto cad, or any thig else) i hope your search goes well.

swker98

p.s if u have any questions we are happy to help

and i have nothnig agents dell i just want u to look around for pric

Welcome to techspot

rember in aleinware this is very important to add a restore cd its 20 dollors extrea, and you probibly will need it, but hopfully not

swker98

I just looked at the dell 4 genriation and its nice but it lackes a dvd-rw it looks like a nice computer. Its a good price to, i would get it over what i sugeted before because of the price just rember to add a dvd-rw if you have the mony. The dvd- burrner is good it can burn 4.7 GB please tell me what you get

Need_a_Dell said:
Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to build my own computer yet, so I'm going to stick with Dell. (You have to admit, the 4th gen XPS does look sweet!) Unfortunatley, the system comes with a monitor no matter what. So here's my next question. Would a Dell monitor be compatible with a non-Dell system?
Yes, It would work on a Non-Dell system, I am sure of that. as the posts above says you may want to shop around since you arn't going the building your own. My sister had bad experiance with Gateway, just to let you know. I think Dell is probally the best for manufactured computers, and Alienware. Just depends on how much you want to spend. You CAN buy a Alienware for the same price as a Dell. It just wont be a AMD 64 FX 55 and so on. Awhile ago, well about a year ago, I recieved in my email from Alienware an article about how they were cheaper than than comparable Aells, and they were. So honestly if you want to buy it from them either of those two sound good from what I have heard.It would be smart to pick up a copy of PC-World or similar magizine and look around in that for reviews. Along with actual reviews of computers put forth by these companies, they have things like company reviews, based on customer service, computers offerd, tech support. ect. They are very in-depth and informative in most cases.

Another option is not to go with either, instead of actually building one yourself, you could go to a local computer store and have them help you build one. I know the ones around here will help you pickout parts, then for about 20 dollars they will build it, install OS, ect. I would check that option out becuase it gives you the benifits of builing your own computer to a non-tech savy person. I know there are several in my area and I wouldn't doubt if there are some near you. depending on where you live of course.
Hope this helped.

-swker98, your post is barely readable. Could you PLEASE run your text through a spellchecker or at least try to spell things semi-right (like me).

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info. My pop knows somebody who works at Dell so we're going to give him a call tomorrow. I'll let you guys know whats up. Just so you guys know, the XPS is fully customizable, so I can get whatever I want put in there. Eg. dual layer dvd burner, pci-e video card, etc...

Thanks again and I'll let you guys know ASAP.

thmandan22 said:
My sister had bad experiance with Gateway.

Ouch...

I just bought the Gateway M275X laptop for almost 2000 bucks lol. But I've bought from them before I never had any issues. So, I suppose your sister had bad luck.

Anyway (To thread starter), Dell is okay, got okay stuff, however, If you could get someone to help you build your computer, that'll be better...

But if not, good luck with your future new dell dude :grinthumb

-Kitaro

anandtech said:
The last group is the Enthusiast, Hobbyist, or Overclocker who, frankly, wouldn't be caught dead buying this gaming rig. With no tweaking options at all, the XPS would be a complete disappointment to this group, and would be considered a waste of good components. This group would be happier building their own system from the best components available.
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1920&p=8

Well, it's done...

Today I ordered my new 4th generation Dell XPS system. The article that Real Black Stuff sent me was a review from 2003. The 4th gen xps has been improved over the past few years and I've been reading up on it. Here are the specs for my new gaming/video editing beast:

Processor - Pentium® 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
OS - Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
RAM - 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)
Hard Disk 1 - 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Hard Disk 2 - 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Drive 1 - 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Drive 2 - 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Video Card - 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy™2 (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394 capability
Acessories - Dual TV Tuner with Remote Control

I also managed to get a 5% corporate discount! :cool:

Well there you have it, I get to play with it in 7-10 business days. Can't wait to see how Half-Life 2 plays on her!

Thanks again guys.

Yes dell computers work with other monitors

I bought my g/f's mom a new dell refurb and she was already had a HP monitor so we just hooked that up and works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back