Monitor showing a blinking green light and screen is black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there i got this problem my computer started by indicating error(PRI Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T Status Bad,Backup..) and not loading the OS Win 98 just a screen written Win 98.I then removed the hard disk(Fujitsu MPF 3102AT) and checked it on another computer i got the same result,when i placed back the hard disk so that i could upgrade the OS to Win XP,my monitor would not show anything.The power light would light up green but after a few seconds it start blinking green.The CPU is running on P111.Pliz help.

Welcome to TechSpot, adad

adad said:
(PRI Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T Status Bad,Backup..)
That says it all - your hard disk drive is failing (S.M.A.R.T. = Self-Monitoring Analysis Reporting Technology).

Well,so what can i do to get my hard drive working on this machine because when i tried it on another machine i am able to go to setup?Also would like to know whether it is BIOS that`s damaged or it`s RAM.

Hello there i got this problem my computer started by indicating error(PRI Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T Status Bad,Backup..) and not loading the OS Win 98 just a screen written Win 98.I then removed the hard disk(Fujitsu MPF 3102AT) and checked it on another computer i got the same result,when i placed back the hard disk so that i could upgrade the OS to Win XP,my monitor would not show anything.The power light would light up green but after a few seconds it start blinking green.The CPU is running on P111.Pliz help.

your problem -- use this instructions

Hi. My name is Chuck.

I would first check if all your fans inside your computer works. Most importanly the one mounted on the m.p.u. (microprocessor). If this fans dies for a long time while the pc is running, then there could be the possibility of a burn up of the main part which mean -- look for a new computer if the replacement is almost the same price as new.

When you pass this test, I would suggest check the fixed disk drive. When I upgraded my Win 98se to XP, my fellow technician tells me it is better to format the fixed disk drive for the XP. This means that you have to collect all device information to get the drivers before installing the XP (home or professional). So you won't have to search the internet for them.
if after all this fails then check the compatibility of your fixed disk drive to the motherboard, most computer place should be able to tell you this but to be safe check with some other technician before buying. then go through all the steps again for installing the XP.

Chuck.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for responding to such an old Post ;)

Just for laughs, I'll give some background info on adad's and trilok's problem ^^

The MPF 3102AT is part of a family of drives (MPE-H, 10-30Gb, if my memory serves me correctly) that had massive problems with the electronics board underneath. Fujitsu made available firmware updates to address these problems but as soon as the drive models went out of warranty, they pulled the updates from their site (but they were sometimes still available for a while from the Fujitsu Canada site).

The first few times the errors/symptoms showed, it would usually be possible to boot the drives again after a 'rest'. Even after applying the firmware updates, the drives would often display the same error messages or symptoms and die within weeks or days.

The only way to recover data from the 'dead' drives was to replace the electronics board from a working drive of exactly the same type. The drives are now so rare (and 'old'), that this is now close to impossible.

Good luck,

Taff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back