Monitor USB hubs won't reinitialize after hibernation (Vista Ultimate 64-bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Kestrel-

When my computer goes into hibernate mode (i.e., when I click the Vista power icon each evening), it comes out just fine the next morning--except for the USB hubs on each monitor (Dell 24"; Gateway 21"). The Dell has my ReadyBoost flash drive plugged in, and (for convenience sake) the Gateway has my Canon inkjet printer plugged into it.

I can reboot each hub by unplugging and reinserting the hub-to-computer USB cable--but I'd like to think that isn't necessary.

This morning, I changed the settings for hibernate to not allow hybrid sleep mode, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has seen and resolved this problem?

Try going into your device manager and going into the properties to your USB hubs. Check the power options and uncheck "Allow computer to turn off device to save power". This might help you.

gavinseabrook said:
Try going into your device manager and going into the properties to your USB hubs. Check the power options and uncheck "Allow computer to turn off device to save power". This might help you.

Hi,

My name is Todd and I'm a customer advocate at Dell's corporate headquarters. My team helps our customers via blogs and forums. I saw your post and wanted to respond.

The above suggestion is pretty good. Were you able to try it and did it help? If not please let me know and I'll see if there is another step we can try.

You can email me directly at Customer_Advocate@Dell.com if you would like more direct help. Please include my first name (Todd) in the subject line of the message so it can quickly be routed through to me.

Thank you,

Todd

Customer Advocate
Dell, Inc.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/11/19/3648.aspx

Todd (and Gavin) -- Thanks for responding. In fact, my device settings were already set as Gavin suggested. My suspicion is, Vista's hibernate mode is great for putting the system to sleep; not so great for waking it up.

For example (not directly related to this question), I have a Hauppauge PVR card running under Vista Media Center. When the computer comes out of sleep mode in the morning, and I try to watch Live TV, there is no picture, and very very choppy sound. Rebooting resolves that issue, as well as restarts my USB hubs. (The ports in my G15 keyboard are always on, but not the ones in the monitors.)

One thing I am going to look at is that I have my bios set to boot my system at 6:45 am each morning--but the system is only in sleep mode. Instead, I am going to try to set Task Manager to wake the system, and turn of the bios switch.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back