Monitor will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a problem with my monitor.

My Specs are:

Microsoft Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 2.80GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
Maxtor #1: 75GB
Maxtor #2: 114GB
nVidia GeForce 5200 128mb
Motherboard ASUS P4P800

My PC has been working fine for the past 6 months, until yesterday, when I decided to upgrade my RAM to 2 GB so I bought another 1GB RAM. I installed the RAM, and when I tried to turn on the PC, the monitor would not turn on.
The monitor just stays in stand-by mode with the yellow light, no reaction upon me turning the pc on.
So, I took out the new RAM, and it turns out my motherboard does not support this RAM, and when I compared it to my already installed RAM, they were different sizes; turns out my motherboard only supports DDR, not DDR2 which I had bought.
Anyway, I took out the new RAM, left with my PC as it was before in its working state - but again the same problem - monitor will not respond and does not turn on when I power up the computer.
When I try pressing the power on the monitor it simply says "No Video - Check power and connection" I have triple checked these, and still am unaware of the problem.
Today I put my dad's graphics card into my computer and used my dad's monitor, but again same problem.
The computer turns on, fans all work, motherboard light turns on but the monitor's LEDs just blink for a few seconds and the monitor stays turnt off.
So I even put my Graphics card in my dad's computer - and it worked. His PC booted up fine with my nVidia 5200 card which eliminates the blame of the graphics card.
So, the only thing to blame, in my opinion, is my dear P4P800 Motherboard, which I believe has done its job. I have had it for about 5 years.
Are there any things which I am not doing right? I have tried reconnecting everything, browsed the forums and looked around but none of the problems seem to correspond with mine.
Clearing the CMOS, booting up the PC with just the Graphics card and Hard drive connected still doesnt seem to work.
What do I do?
Thank you in advance

You didn't list your monitor in the specs you posted.
Does your monitor work on your father's computer? Best to rule that out right away, as there have been high failure rates on various monitors lately.

ASUS boards hate having the wrong memory, and it could have failed as a result... but sometimes you just need to reset the BIOS...

If you have keyboard lights, then turn the PC on and see if they come on, and if they do...
OR
If there is a green light on the motherboard when you turn your computer on (which you said it is), and if there is...

Then you need to switch your computer off and UNPLUG IT, and now remove the MOBO BATTERY, for 5 seconds then put it back in.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi, I have tested my monitor with my dad's computer, everything works fine on his.
I did think of the caps-lock test, but then I remembered that my keyboard does not have the LEDs on it, when I press CAPS-LOCK, it displays on my monitor whether its on or off.
I did try to take out the battery yesterday, however that didnt solve it.

check to see if you put the memory in the correct slots i kno it probably isnt the problem but make sure its in the dual channel configuration idk maybe it'll help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back