Monitor Wont Display in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocobogo_rct

Hi I got this problem when changing monitors on my Pc a while ago.
I have now got my PC and have tried it on 3 different monitors and get the same outcome.
The initial BIOS and DOS boot displays come up, along with the Windows XP Loading screen, but as soon as windows kicks in and the display settings change, my monitor or any other I have tried just stays black.
Windows itself boots, as I can hear the login sound through the speakers!
I have tried going into safe mode to play about with the setting of my display card but it wont even let me into safe mode!

Is this something to do with the refresh rate setting?

Appreciate any help towards fixing this matter :)

It probably is the refresh rate.. Perhaps the resolution is too high. Boot into "VGA MODE" to change your display settings. You can do this by tapping F8 right before the Windows XP logo appears and choosing VGA mode from the menu. Safe mode will also work.

Thanks for the advice mate. I will give it another go. What is the best refresh rate to set it at, so that it will work with most monitors?

60 is the lowest, that should work even with old VGA monitors, but once you get it working, you should set it as high as your monitor supports.

I have now tried another monitor on the PC, my TFT display as I thought that this may support higher refresh rates, but again, the same outcome, I get the windows logon sound but the screen freezes and I get no display!
So then I removed mt GF4 MX440 AGP card from my other PC and plugged it into the agp slot of the "faulty" PC and I got exactly the same outcome again!!

Just some further information, If I try and get into the PC in safe mode if runs down the long list of dos commands and then freezes.
If I enable VGA I get to the Checkdisk screen and it freezes but still logs on!!

What else can I try.

The video card is on-board on my MB VT8233A.

Im trying to think what else I can try? Maybe plug my MX440 back in and try video-out to my TV?
Or is there a program I can put on a floppy and then "blindly" run it from windows using the windows key to access the start menu, then up 2 keys to Run then type "A:/rune.exe" etc?

Remote Login is out of the question as the PC is running XP Home and doesnt have the feature!!

ARGHHH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back