Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here is my problem:

My monitor had some problems so I switch to an old monitor I had (Compaq MV520) and I can't adjust the brightness, etc. The colors are too dark. I tried going to Display Options, advanced on the Setting bar, changed them but they didn't reset.

Any suggestions?

What graphics card do you have?
It could just be a faulty monitor, but can you just up the Gamma in your display settings?

Right-click on My Computer, then select Properties...
Find the Hardware tab at the top and then click on Device Manager which opens up a window with a list of all your hardware... find one called Display Adapters and click the plus symbol next to it to expand the category - under that should be your graphics card.

To play around with your display settings and see if you can find some Gamma settings - right-click on the desktop and select Properties, or select Display Settings from the windows control panel. Under the tab called Settings there should be an Advanced button which will open a new window that lets you access a whole bunch of other features - if your card has some stuff in this window there may be some gamma setting somewhere...

Confused yet? =)

ncblondelady said:
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here is my problem:

My monitor had some problems so I switch to an old monitor I had (Compaq MV520) and I can't adjust the brightness, etc. The colors are too dark. I tried going to Display Options, advanced on the Setting bar, changed them but they didn't reset.

Any suggestions?
By the aging symptoms your monitor is likely a shadow-mask and not an aperture-grille as most people have.

The problem with old monitor aging is the lessening of Luminance Transfer Efficiency from lower electron counts of the electron beam. The work around for this is lowering the resolution and/or VSYNC then adjust the brightness/contrast setting. As soon as you've lowered the resolution and/or VSYNC to within the available bandwidth of your aging monitor you will be able to adjust brightness/contrast to your satisfaction.

But remember to always re-adjust the brightness/contrast per resolution and VSYNC setting you are using.

Extra detail info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back