More Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I've read the other topic on this forum from start to end and although similar to my issue, it does not help me.
It's my first time on these forums and i'm at my wits end.
I'm using a compaq presario 2100, and running XP Pro.

When booting up XP Pro, I get the compaq logo appearing, then the fan starts and all looks good then after about 4 seconds the sytem halts and nothing works. The screen stays frozen on the compaq logo forever.
If i press ESC during this 4 second period, it shows me a list of memory checks, the BIOS version, and the hard disk identification, then it freezes again.
I can't get into BIOS or anything and when I put the windows disk in the tray and reboot, it starts reading for a second then stops loading up with everything else so I can't get into the recovery console, or try a fresh install of the OS.
So give it to me straight - is my laptop completely fried?

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Perhaps your ram or cpu worked a bit loose. If its still under warranty I'd send it off to get fixed. If its not, open it up and reseat the ram.

SNGX1275, Compaq Presario 2100 sound obsolete, am i right, cursed_windoze?

Did you fool around with bios or did you flash the bios?
if not, bring your laptop and ask the technician to try different ram to find the source of problem or let them fix it for you.

Lucan

Well, I didn't mess around with anything. That's what's so frustrating - it was working this morning. It's not under warranty anymore either, so i've dug my old PC out and gave it a memory upgrade until I can afford a new one. Which brings me to my new question: I ain't getting no sound off my on-board memory. I re-installed windoze on the PC and re-installed the applicable graphics drivers and the like. But I can't get the on board sound to work. I've got a new DirectX and the relevant audio drivers but all I get are system beeps.
Any ideas?

Earlier you said you couldn't get into Windows.
When booting up XP Pro, I get the compaq logo appearing, then the fan starts and all looks good then after about 4 seconds the sytem halts and nothing works. The screen stays frozen on the compaq logo forever.

If you can get into windows now, is your sound your only remaining problem?

It's a different PC i'm using now. But I got the onboard sound fixed last night.
I reckon the HD in my laptop is ****ed cos I can't hear it doing anything when I try and boot the system up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back