More memory needed for audio P.C! DDR or DDR 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyleronline

Hey Guys Was Wondering If Anyone Could Reccomend Some Suitable Ram Uprgrades For My P.c. I Have A Carillon Ac-1 Audio P.c. I'm Looking To Spend Around 100 Gbp But Im Willing To Shop Around. I Use The P.c Mainly For Audio Puporses But Also Play The Latest Games So I Need Something Fairly Good. The Audio Software I Use Is Cubase Sl3 And Kontakt 2 Often With Lots Of Plug-ins. I Have Noticed That When I Have Alot Of Instruments Loaded In My Sampler (kontakt) That There Are Little Glitches And I Get Low Memory Warnings. So I Need To Get Somehthing To Fix This. I Am A Little Confused Between Ddr And Ddr 2 What Are The Differences And Benifits? Also What Are The Different pc Speeds For AND WHAT EXACTLY DOES DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY DO? Anyhelp Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Regards

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 540, 3200 MHz
Motherboard:
AsRock 775i65GV
Memory:
512MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Cooling:
Zalman Silent CPU Cooler
Videocard:
Leadtek Winfast A400 TDH Geforce 6800
Soundcard/Speakers:
E-mu 1820
Hard Disk(s):
120GB Seagate Baracuda
Other Drives:
DVD RW Drive
Case:
Carillon AC-1
Other Peripherals:
E-Mu X-Board

hello tyleronline your pc looks like it takes ddr pc 3200 ram do you courintly have 2x 256 or one 512 gb sitck of ram in your computer

Most motherboards can only use one or the other, there are a few motherboards out there that will use either. My motherboard uses DDR2 and I promise you can tell the difference. As far as cost, there is maybe a $3 difference in cost between a stick of PC3200 DDR and PC3500 DDR2.
Your AsRock 775i65GV does not support DDR2, just get another stick of PC3200. The software you are using is a known memory hog - you can never have too much memory.

i currently have 1x 512mb of elixir memory.should i get another 512 or 1gb? or get some dual channel memory like 2gb of corsair or something similar.how much do you reckon i will need. i only have two ram slots so i would have to get rid off the elixir for this. regards

if i were in your position i would go for one more stick of the memory you have now and have 1gb whitch is enopoph memory unless you do seories gamming or viedo editing, i you buy one more stick of the ram you have now duel channel should work and there should be a notsable amout of increce in preformance

will dual channel only work if i get elixir 512mb or will it work if i get elixir 1gb aswell? does it have to be exactly the same ram same speed and everything? regards

tyleronline said:
will dual channel only work if i get elixir 512mb or will it work if i get elixir 1gb aswell? does it have to be exactly the same ram same speed and everything? regards
Yes it does, for the best performance. Both cards would ideally be of the same make & speed. Get an Elixir 512MB PC3200 card and install it. Simple.

Save your money

I'm running 4gb of corsair dual channel With Cubase SX3 and it didn't salve the problem, however i think you might wanna get teh latest update for cubase

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/

Also try and dedicate the machine to music creation and nothing els and i mean re installing the pc with just the nessesarry stuff make sure to disconnet or deactivate the net-card so windows dont have to activate the drivers... and the way I see it for music production you probably better off saving enough money to go buy a Mac G4 og G5 instead, dont get me wrong there's nothing wrong with PC you have to remember to use the right tool for the job.

The p.c I have is a dedicated audio p.c. it's a Carillon AC-1 seen here . the only other thing i use it for is occasional gaming.It has no internet or anything else. I shall try updating cubase first, thanks for the link. and think about reinstalling some of the drivers aswell. I shall probably go for the extra ram anyway as 512 is quite cheap.Regards

You motherboard has a 865G chipset and just two memory slots. The 865 is dual chanel and uses DDR, not DDR2. You realy need to have two memory strips that are the same. Two one gig stirps is most you can have.

If you olny have onr 512 now, get another just like it. It is usely best to get a kit, then the warenty is for both working at spec.

Would this be o.k? It appears to be the same as what i have. But iam not shure.What do you think? Also do i just install this ram as normal or do i have to do something extra to use the dual channel feature? Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back