Most reliable hdd brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

hi Im planning on upgrading to a bigger harddrive so i can store my digital pictures without having to burn them on DVD disc every 2 uploads (my SD card is a 2GB card and I fill it up quite fast)

I need somethign fast and efficient but also very reliable and a good company who backs up their drives incase somethin goes wrong..

says my board handles" 4 x Serial ATA 150MB/sec with support for RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 0+1" so i guess this is just regular Sata? i cant use Sata2?

whats the difference between IDE and SATA? which is faster, more reliable and better?

I like seagate and western digital. I'm not sure if I'd spring for one of the new perpendicular recording drives yet, since they're brand new tech. As for ide vs sata, I don't notice any speed difference in regular use, but sata is a faster interface. I see it in much the same light as agp vs pci-express. Yeah, pci-e is a faster interface, but at the point when it was introduced agp cards could easily keep up with pci-e cards, since cards weren't maxing out agp's speed. Maybe eventually hd's will have more speed than ide(pata) can handle, but who knows when. I'd get a sata 150 though, since the cabling is "neater" than ide ribbon cable.

I only have experience with Western Digital and it's worked fine for me.

A SATA II drive will work with your SATA I connection but only at SATA I speeds.

yea.. I dont know what to do with my 120GB PATA hdd.. can i mix n match IDE + SATA? Im thinking of getting a seagate barracuda. I like the 5 years warranty (vs 3 years for WD) and theyre just a couple $$ more. thanks vnf and thanks mailpup for the input

Yes you can mix and match IDE and SATA. The quality on hard drives today are all virtually the same at the consumer level, so just pick one that has a low price and a good warranty.

yes, you CAN, but you SHOULDN'T. Windows sometimes gets hung up or confused on mixed systems and defaults to IDE. If you lose your driver or get a corrupted OS, then your system will crash as windows won't know your OS is on SATA as it writes to the IDE drive. I have had this happen to me before.

Use either IDE or SATA but I don't recommend using both at the same time even though it will work. If you're just starting out, go with SATA only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back