Most teens have personally experienced cyberbullying, Pew survey reveals

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Being a teen is tough, especially in the 21st century. As Pew's latest survey highlights, today's youth are having to put up with harassment 24/7, even when they aren't in the physical presence of bullies.

Adolescents have long had to contend with name-calling, rumor-spreading and other childish antics perpetrated by peers. Smartphones and social media have only amplified the problem and made it easier for bullies to humiliate their victims yet still, some may not realize how widespread the issue really is.

According to a recent survey from Pew Research Center, 59 percent of US teens have personally experienced at least one common type of cyberbullying. Name-calling, identified by Pew as the most common form of online harassment, has been used against 42 percent of respondents while one in three said they’ve had false rumors spread about them.

Unsurprisingly, there are plenty of opinions on how to tackle the issue of cyberbullying and who is to blame for its prevalence. The majority of teens polled believe elected officials, social media sites, bystanders, teachers and law enforcement are either doing a fair or poor job in addressing online harassment.

Most teens – 59 percent – believe parents are doing a good or excellent job of managing cyberbullying.

Pew found that boys and girls are equally as likely to be bullied online although the latter group is more likely to have false rumors spread about them and receive explicit images they didn’t ask for.

Permalink to story.

Learn to talk **** back. Life is hard, learn to deal with it. If you can't deal with being bullied online then I can't imagine how hard it will be for you to hold down a job or pay bills

One other approach is for the parents to restrict or eliminate cell phone/social media use and encourage their kids to get into after school activities or sports or join the local hiking club or something like that. There is life in the world beyond social media, and the parents would be doing their kids a favor by encouraging their kids to find that life without social media.

But kids have to have what all the other kids have otherwise they are not cool and the parents, too, are likely demonstrating to their kids that the only life is on a cellphone engaging with others through useless social media.
Learn to talk **** back. Life is hard, learn to deal with it. If you can't deal with being bullied online then I can't imagine how hard it will be for you to hold down a job or pay bills
That depends what your day job is and whether or not you are dealing with a$$holes. In some places, like where I work, even VPs have been taken to task by the HR department for acting like an a$$hole. No one should have to tolerate crap like that.

Also, recognizing that there are a$$holes in life and realizing that what they say comes from an empty heart is one other approach that is empowering, too.

No way!! it's almost like no matter how you try to interact with people you will always be bullied, almost like it's human nature. I mean who would have thought using a service that opens up the audience to millions of people and allows them to hide behind fake names and pictures could maybe increase the amount or severity of the harassment received, shocker indeed. I guess the best we can do is just learn to live with and go on in our lives, or complain excessively until society overreacts to it.

Nothing new. Cavemen did it too. Either you ignore them or you club them. But complaining about them has never worked.

"...critical of teachers..."

Teachers can't do anything anymore. Of course part of that is because of parents who think their kids can do no wrong and parents who don't care what their kids do.
I agree, teachers can't do anything anymore; however, I place at least part of the responsibility for that on antiquated education systems. IMO, even if the parent steps in, an antiquated education system will hinder the development of students regardless of their intellectual abilities.

There are places where the education system is being revamped and it is working. In such places, the fact that it is working seems at least partially less dependent on parents than teaching students good life skills. I am willing to bet that in such instances, the parents never learned good life skills themselves, and as such, are unable to pass those skills on to their children.

In case you are interested - https://www.democratandchronicle.co...niversity-rochester-deane-williams/676413002/

The only solution is to delete all offensive speech from existence.

By the way... that's some nice speech you've got there--it'd be a shame if I were to feel offended by it.
Being offensive is not necessarily the same as bullying.

Nor is it necessarily different than bullying. That's how ambiguous terms work, and how they can (and will) be misused.

"...critical of teachers..."

Teachers can't do anything anymore. Of course part of that is because of parents who think their kids can do no wrong and parents who don't care what their kids do.
Which is why parents should be held responsible for their kids actions. If the parents are going to stand in the way, then run over them with all fours. If we continue to ignore the fact that parents can be held responsible, then parent will continue their streak of not caring.

Back