Motherboard Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
An E-Machine T6414 belonging to 12-year old twins I mentor stopped booting. It stuck every time on the E logo at startup. There was no way to enter Bios settings, setup, or boot settings. I guess this is a pretty common problem. I began to try and figure out what the exact issue was, and am hopeful to fix it myself to save their family money, which they don't really have.

To try and figure out what the problem was, I did the following...
1. Connected the Hard Drive to another computer as a Slave. All appears to be okay.
2. Tested the RAM. Appears okay.
3. Put a different power supply unit in from another E-Machine that my roommate's parents have, same result. Put the PSU from this machine into their computer, ran fine.
4. Called E-Machine Tech Support...got nowhere.

5. I'm assuming then that it's the Motherboard, since so many posts on this site have to do with E-Machine Motherboard issues. Now, I'm trying to decide the best course of action.

I've attempted to find the same MSI Motherboard Online...it's MS-7184 v1.0. There was a MS-7184 on Ebay, but I wasn't the highest bidder.

I'd like to be able to repair this machine for them to use for school, etc. but I'd like to know that the Motherboard I purchase is going to be compatible.

Am I on the right track? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Shaun
Vermont

First off, Hello and Welcome to techspot. :D

It sounds like you are on the right track with the motherboard.

The factors in finding a new motherboard is normally pretty easy, match up your CPU socket, RAM socket and speed, and video card.

But with the OEM operating system, you will have to buy windows if you can not find the specific motherboard or at least one with the same chipset.

Hope this helps.

Sean

One thing that will cause a computer to freeze at the manufacturer splash screen is the keyboard and/or mouse. If you plug one in (If it's PS/2) and the pins are all bent and screwed up, then the computer wont boot. It'll freeze at that screen like it is with their computer.

Have they moved it around recently or unplugged the mouse and/or keyboard? If they have PS/2 Keyboard and mouse, unplug them both and boot the computer and see what happens.

You will need to replace the mobo since the PSU probably took it out. But seriously, you can build a very decent machine for around $300 and also salvage parts from your old machine so I really don't recommend repairing any e-crap (e-machine) machine.

Thanks, so far!

Thanks for the several replies and for welcoming me to this board.

A couple of things...

1. To TheKolkster: They hadn't moved the computer at all. When I brought it to my house, after the problem started, I only brought the CPU and used my own Gateway Keyboard and Mouse with it, with the same result.

2. To Tedster: You mentioned that the PSU probably took out the Motherboard, but the PSU seems fine. It worked well in another computer. Is it necessary that I replace it?

Thanks again for the replies. I'm hoping to order a Motherboard today or tomorrow.

I'm just wondering...Do you think I'll be able to use my WindowsXP Install CD that came with my Dell Laptop with the new Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back