Motherboard CPU Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AMD AM2 x2 4600 on a nforce4 chipset with 2g ddr2 value ram with an nvidia 8800 gts video card. I was thinking of upgrading to an Intel core 2 duo e6750 on a p35 chipset with 2g Crucial ballistix ram. I think the upgrade is a better match for my video card. But I was wondering, will I see that much improvement in performance? And would the cost be justified?

thank you for the reply. just not sure it would justify the money spent. I just might wait a while for the prices to drop on the components.

The C2D would be heaps quicker.

You could always use the RAM from your AMD setup & get the expensive stuff later.

Thats true. Didn't think of that. Too bad its least expensive component. How much difference would it make using the value ram with the new parts? Wouldn't it make a bottleneck or something or would I still see a noticeable performance increase?

is it 667 or 800MHz?

Even if it's 667 you'll notice a big increase in performance.

Don't forget, most C2D's will overclock nicely, you could go for a cheaper CPU, and clock it easily.

With my Q6600, {in a P35}, I just locked the PCIe bus at 100, dropped the Ram Divider to 2.5 {667MHz} then upped the FSB until the RAM was at 800 {it's speed}. Nice stable overclock! {though I've gone much further now!}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back