Motherboard Ethernet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently had a new computer built for me from parts. The Motherboard is an ASUS A8n-E and I think this is what is casuing my trouble.

The problem is with downloading files. Zips and rar files are all corrupted. Now, here's the kicker that really gets me. Executable files DO work, but the ones that have .cab files to decompress (i'm guessing these are mini-rars or zips inside the .exe?) always fail saying something along the lines of "CRC failed in xxxx.cab". Even my AVG updates fail. This happens with about 95% of the files I now download. I am running a Motorola SB4200 cable modem through Time Warner/AOL's Roadrunner service, and it's connected directly to the on-board ethernet. Considering I had never had this problem with my previous computer on the same modem, i'm guessing it has something to do with the hardware. I'm hard pressed to find anything wrong with my harddrive because I can install anything off a CD or DVD and have zero problems with it.

I thought about trying to update the drivers, but I don't have the ability to download them and unzip them. And even if I did, I don't have a floppy drive. I've taken some advice and tried changing the speed on the card all the way down to 10 half duplex, but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking I might just have a new ethernet card put in and just run off that.

Aw man, I just realized there IS a networking forum. I'm sorry, but it won't let me delete this. Haha, now I look like an *****. Sorry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back