Motherboard Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a MSI 6734 board with AMD XP2800+ and 1gb Ram.
I am putting this together put have 2 problems.

Firstly the board has a power point for the processer, do I need to use this as the processer only came with a heatsink and fan connecter. I though the processer would get power via the main board power connector.

Secondly, when I boot up the screen does not come on, but as sood as I disconnect it from the P/C it comes on.

Many thanks

What does the motherboard manual say to do for that plug?

You have to be more specific. Is this a square plug with 4 connectors like a P4 Processor Power Plug?

If the Processor's cooling fan is not plugged into the Connector on the motherboard that says CPU FAN then it will not start. This is standard on most motherboards.

Oh Yeah; read the manual!

Yes It is a square plug with 4 connectors. It just says CPU power supply in the manual but I have no leads like this.

Are you referring to Figure 5
P4 Mother Board Connector
in the URL below???

P4 Power Connector

If this is the case. this connector is necessary as your processor will need additional voltage directly from the Power Supply Unit (PSU). If your PSU does not have a P4 connector, you will need to get a new PSU or find a molex adapter Figure 3 in the link above.

Bug

Originally posted by realblackstuff
That does not make sense, since when does AMD need a P4 power connector?

Most AMD systems I've had since my 1.4Ghz Thunderbird have recommended connecting the secondary power connector.
Strange although it might seem, the higher rated AMD chips have been using the P4 molex for a while now.

http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/abit_nf7_(s)_v2_0.htm:

Also while I am here the NF7/S draws considerably from the +12v rail just the same as P4's so YES you should plug in the P4 Molex plug as well as the standard ATX Molex.

Agreed, my nForce 2 board from shuttle had the connector. It is to provide stable power for the CPU.
Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back