Motherboard installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I have recently bought a new motherboard to replace my old one and i have encountered a problem with the installation. After installing the CPU, RAM, HDD, Graphics Card and dvd-room and clearing the CMOS RTC data, I attempted to boot the pc and that is when the problem occured. Every time I start the pc an error message appears, saying "CMOS Setting wrong," and before I can go into bios set up to change it, the pc shuts down after a few seconds. Does anyone have any suggestions that can be of help?

the motherboard in question is:
ASUS P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 uATX Intel Motherboard
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800 FSB
ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/256M GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2
1GB DDR2 PC5300 ram
120 GB ultra ATA 100 7200 RPM 8mb cache Segate hard drive.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Next time that you start the machine be tapping on F8 and hope that "safe mode" comes up. That is the key for safe mode. You could also reset the bios (remove battery 15 secs). If these don't work, post back. Good Luck. You could also be tapping on "delete" right as machine starts for entry into setup. Do you have the drives in the proper boot order?

I have tried F8 for safe mode and DEL to get into set up, but after the error msg ("CMOS setting wrong") appears with several instructions indicating that I must enter bios to change the settings, the keyboard appears to be unresponsive, which is odd because the green led lights on it still light up.

And the boot order? Hardisk first? Another question: did you just install Windows or are you using an installation from a previous PC? Sometimes pre- installed Windows will not cooperate with your new motherboard's BIOS. I hope that it is an older installation, if so, reformatting O.S. should do it. I'm not sure what you know so I assuming that any help will be appreciated, even if you knew these things all ready. Good Luck.

CMOS error messages occur at the point before the OS is loaded so must be fixed before the system can go further. I would first check that the CPU you have installed is on the list of chips for this board and if that is OK, try it with a different memory stick - maybe a really slow one if you have it just to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back