Motherboard Monitor is reporting critical temperature spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Ok, this is very strange. I have installed MBM 5 on my newest computer, and the temps look great idle, as well as full load playing games. But the last 2 days it seems there are temperature spikes or MBM reporting incorrectly.
I have come home from work to find that the proc temp reached above my set limit of 70C, and the pop up box asks whether or not I want to ignore it or turn off computer.
Well when I see that screen it is reporting good temps, around 50C.

So, is this a problem with MBM, or am I having probs with my machine?

This is the error recorded in the log.
| 4/29/2004 | 6:15:58 PM | Alarm for CPU : it has reached 71°C and this is on/past the value of 70°C which you set as high alarm value.

Even 50 deg. is high. Why don't you install CPU-idle? Get version 6.0b or version 7 Extreme.
My not OC'd Athlon 1900 never goes over 32 deg, using the Zalman Flower CNPS6000-Cu (fan at 2200 rpm) and CPU-idle 6.0b.

Could it be possible that your CPU-cooler is not completely tight onto the CPU? After all, it hangs on its side all the time.

How would CPU-Idle do anything? He's running XP - doesn't System Idle Process take care of that?

& it's of no use if you're running SETI or something of the sort.

Doesn't MSI have an in-house program to read the system temps ? Maybe MBM doesn't properly support your board yet.

Without CPU-idle, my processor runs at around 42 deg. centigrade/celsius at idle speed.
CPU-idle brings the temp. down to 27 deg. within 40 seconds.
I run W2K/SP4.
Now tell me the program does not work!

CPUIdle uses idle cycles. If you do not have any, if your CPU is constantly busy at 100%, it will not work.

I know so because I used CPUIdle. before starting to run STEI on all my machines it might've been worth running, but not anymore.

I don't quite believe in ET (or SETI), and my PC is only busy while I am at the keyboard (programming or web-surfing), so CPU-Idle works at least for my PC, and that very well.

I never said CPUIdle didn't work, far from it. What CPUIdle does is act like a CPU hog & gobble up as many idle CPU cycles as it can. During those cycles, it's actually forcing the CPU to go into a semi hybernate mode during those cycles.

The problem is that if your CPU is constanly being occupied by another process ( SETI, video/audio encoding, games, etc ), CPUIdle will not be able to do its job. & as far as I know Poert has just joined the SETI@Home team so I don't think he has a lot of free cycles for CPUIdle.

It can also "activate" certain functions from the CPU/chipset that might not be activated by default but there are other ways to do so.

CPUIdle homepage ( 30 day demo available )

CPUIdle review @ Motherboards.org

My mistake, I was under the false impression that System Idle Process in 2k/XP did same crap as CPU Idle.

And that you should run such a program on a 9x system but it wasn't necessary in 2k or XP.

What does System Idle Process do then?

i wonder what makes cpuidle stay cooler than system idle process. does the system idle process use the HLT command?

CPUIdle goes a bit further then System Idle Process by deactivating certain parts of the CPU that aren't used, for example deactivate the FPU if you're doing an ALU intensive task, etc.

It can also sometimes activate certain CPU/chipset features that aren't enabled by default ( not necessarily power saving functions ).

Some people seem to complain about power rails playing yo-yo when CPUIdle is running though.:suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back