Motherboard Mounting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started to build a PC for the first time so I have a question about standoffs. I know theres the brass and plastic ones, but what about standoffs that come as part of the case? (Please see pics) -standard ATX format-

I read somewhere that these are the standoffs, but I am concerned that they might make the MB ground. Would covering them in electrical tape or something be a suitable solution? Or Rubber/Paper Washers?

Answers and Comments are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 17
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 17
I built my current and previous 2 PC's. They've all had the brass standoff's. There is ring around the holes in the mother board that act as an insulator to help prevent a short and below the screw (on the top) is where those red paper washers to help prevent this from happening shorting from the top / screw too.

Hope this help's.

Covering the standoffs with tape will do you no good since the screws are still made of metal..

Motherboards are built to be mounted with metal standoffs and usually there is enough space around the holes to avoid shorting lines. You should keep an eye out though - in some cases the hole and the standoff are very offset and the wide collar of the screw may be able to touch a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back