Motherboard/new CPU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first time posting here.

I am in a bit of a dilemma that maybe someone might have a little time to help me out? I have a Gigabyte GA-7VT600(-L) I bought a little over a year ago, and have been slowly upgrading it. A year ago I purchased a Athlon XP 3200+ Barton Core (OEM) to go with the motherboard and a 512 stick of Kingston ValueRAM, but ran into stability problems.

I ended up letting it sit for a while and just putting my old 1600+ and 1gig of PC2100 RAM into it. After school got out I decided to tackle it again and upgraded my PSU to a Linkworld 430W. The problem is I'm having the same problems with it when I first got it. It will load windows, but every time I try to load a game or application (other than an internet browser) it will crash, or BSOD.

I currently have all my drivers up to date, here's my list of hardware specs:

GA-7VT600(-L)
Athlon XP 3200+ Barton Core
eVGA GeForce FX 5500 256MB
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB
Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM HDD
Creative SB PC 512
Mitsumi CR-48x8XTE
LiteOn DVD R/RW

If there's anything else I can provide to help let me know! just trying to put all the money I've spent on this machine to good use!

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What speed is your kingston ddr ram.

I.E is it pc2100/pc2700/pc3200?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Maybe your instability is due to heat. What type of heatsink are you using for your processor? What are your idle and load CPU temperatures running?

@ howard_hopkinso: It's PC3200 here's the URL for it from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141424

@ Grok451: The heatsink and fan are the stock ones that came with it in early 2002. I think it's a 40-60MM fan with a basic heatsink that covers just a little bit larger area of the CPU. Current temps are:

Idle:
35.C
52.C

Load:
37.C
55.C

I've had other forums suggest it could be my PSU, since it's not name brand, but I had a 300W PSU before I replaced it with the current one, and at that time it crashed a lot. Now it is more stable, but still crashes when I try to load programs (BF1942, Planetside, MS Word, BF2, more than 5-6 browser windows.

Thank you for the help also!

Ok, it`s deffinitely not you cpu temps, as they are fine.

What bsod`s are you getting, including the numbers?

You might want to consider downloading the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version, that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

What is you mobo`s fsb speed set at? Check your mobo manual for supported fsb speeds.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

@ Howard: For the BSOD's I'm getting these errors. 0x000000D1,0x8081D7A8, 0X000000FF, 0X00000000, 0X8081D7A8.

Along with Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I think that's the video card infinite loop bug, and I also get an NV4DP.DLL error.

I've tested the memory with memtest86 for 12 passes and it was perfect, no flaws.

The FSB is set at 200 when I put the new CPU and RAM in. I've tried overclocking it and fiddling with all of the voltages, but no luck as of yet.

A few of things to try are, disable fastwrite in you bios. It can sometimes create instability problems with your videocard.

Download the latest drivers for you videocard.

You might also want to check on the Gigabyte site to see if there are any bios updates available.

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back