Motherboard? No video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help. I just purchased a bunch of parts for a new PC. Here is the bulk:
Intel core 2 duo 1.8 ghz
ECS motherboard w/ intel 945 chipset
ATI PCI express Radeon X800 GTO
1 GB Crucial memory
350 GB Seagate HDD

I put it together once, tried to boot it up, everhything spun up fine but no video signal went to my monitor.

Tried two other monitors, two other video cards, pulled one stick of memory out, then swapped it with the other. Unplugged everything unecessary to get it to boot.

I then exchanged the motherboard out and still I got no video. Is it a motherboard issue, a CPU issue, or a powersupply issue? I have an ANTEC 350W 24 pin power supply.

I am pretty mad since everything is brand new.

Thanks for any help.

does it give any beeps? how many? sequence?

i know you'd probably done this, but take everything out (or reseat) and setup with minimum components>CPU/Mobo, Video card, 1 stick of ram, 1 optical drive, power. Set this up on a non-conductive surface like an antistatic bag or the motherboard's box. Reset BIOS and see if it boots now.

Make sure all power cables are pluged in especialy if your video card has a seperate power requirement.

I tried that with no success.

I notices that a wire on my 24-pin power cable is missing. There is just an empty core in the plastic plug head. Could this be my problem? Not enough juice?

Thanks.

also

I also do not have any beeps on bootup. I initially listened for a video card sequence thinking that was broken, but there are no beeps at all.

hmm.. no beeps.. normal operation means 1 short beep or so..

i don't know if that 1 empty core is supposed to be there or not (cant remember) but try change the PSU with another one that you know works etc.

we can try rule out each components the other way by plugging each of them into another pc that you know works and crossing that list off that way..

the last time the video didn't come up for me was that the ram wasn't seated properly or the vid card wasn't on properly..

did you check if each component was compatible with each other?

By the way, do you by any chance have an onboard video port on the motherboard?

I remember when i first build my computer I also had the same problem as you, I asked around and I ended up having a faulty motherboard/CPU. I returned both of them (they had a sale of mobo/cpu), put everything back on, worked like a charm.

I had this happen once and It was a falty northbridge. This chip on the motherboard allows the video card to comunicate to the CPU. Since you tried multiple video cards you probably have a bad motherboard. ECS isn't exactly the best quality board out theree either. The PSU is on the low side for that system but it should be enough. I would upgrade the PSU before you do any other upgrades though. Also makesure the board isn't shorting against the case anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back