Motherboard recognises the video card, but does not boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

Hi ive posted about my problem before about my computer not being able to recognize my video card anymore.

Basically here is what it looks like when i try to boot:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8079/computerproblemeg7.jpg
(crappy drawing, im sorry)
EDIT: I cant even go to bios or anything, only thing i can do is press ctrl+alt+delete which reboots it.

I have a D850GB intel mobo 1.6ghz 1gb rd ram and the video card im trying to use is a ati radeon x800xl.

The card worked fine on my computer until i tried to flash the bios. I tried to flash it and it didnt work but the computer was fine. Or so i thought, the computer would no longer boot up with the x800xl in, but would boot if i put in my old geforce 2. I replaced the card through ATI's RMA service and got a refurbished one. Thinking i fixed it, i popped it in the mobo and boom! same problem!

Any ideas? Help me please!

Drawing is ok

Do you have onboard video,
if so removing the card does it start
if so, then fully remove the device from add/remove programs
Download and re-install the software drivers

Or follow the manual, on resetting bios

Other than that Windows repair

Based on the history, I suspect it is the hardware. Based on the screen shot, I do not suspect the drivers because Windows is not involved yet.

From another thread of yours, this type of video card (ati/ all-in-wonder/radeon/ x800xl) worked in this computer. However, for the same symptoms (blinking cursor, 1-line of burst from the x800xl), reboot/safe mode got you by the problem. These glitches can be interpreted as a compatibility problem.

This utility should discover chipsets involved: cpu-z.
Some ATI cards have trouble with some nVidia chipsets.

What happens when you test this refurbished video card in the friend's computer, as was done before?

And finally, the questionable re-flash of the bios muddied the situation. If it is a pluggable device, the cost is worth the peace of mind. If the computer/bios lockout occurs after the flash and not before the flash, this is a confirming symptom.

Thank you for your reply, this refurbished card has been tested on another computer WORKING.

My motherboard is a D850GB.

As for the failed bios flash... it stayed the same bios version. Nothing else virtually changed exept not being able to use that card anymore.

X800xl works in another computer. Great. In that computer, does the x800xl display on the monitor contain more than the 1-line shown in your screen shot?

The D850GB mobo does not raise the alarm to signify a non-functioning video card.

The bios is able to process the 1st line of output from the x800xl.

So what in the setup for the bios is causing this loss of communication?

Looking outside of the bios, then power is a possible source of trouble.

The D850GB accepts 2x and 4x (1.5v only) AGP cards. Does the X800xl qualify?

Does the D850GB have a WARN1 LED that monitors the AGP slot?

Are the 4 LEDs on the rear of the mobo giving any meaningful status?

The x800xl boots to windows fully and works fine on the other computer.

Yeah the motherboard is 2/4x agp but the card is 4/8x agp, they work fine with each other. They have always worked fine with my board atleast.

Powersupply is more than enough, 550w.

I dont think this motherboard has any LED's besides the power button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back