Motherboard SATA Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a motherboard problem with my sata device, I have onboard sata but im not sure how to use it as theres no prongs or watever is need to use, theres a picture attached of the area where my sata is, the barcode looking sticker is where the second sata is.

the IDE3 and IDE4 is what is written next to the 2 sata devices

Thanks RuBBeRduCky

Attachments

• sata001.jpg
    sata001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 9
hook up one end of your sata cable to the hard drive, and the other to a sata port on your motherboard. don't forget to connect your power to the drive though. if the bios still can't find a drive, with a powered one attached, you have yourself a hardware problem.

Zephead: thats my problem, i really doubt in that picture they where sata ports, thats all i know of being close to a sata port on my harddrive can you/someone please show me where they are on my harddrive ?

I aslo heard that u can get a SATA card, are they any good or even real :blush: , im not sure if thats what i need or what.

SATA connectors are much smaller than IDE connectors. If the motherboard in question is the one in your profile, on it there should be two red SATA connectors parallel to each other, about 2.5cm long. If you have SATA cables, they can only go one place on the back of a SATA hard drive. Do you have SATA cables?

You either have to have a motherboard that is SATA ready or a controller card with SATA outputs on it. Either is required for SATA. SATA jacks are much smaller than IDE jacks and there are no pins on a SATA jack. The SATA jacks slide onto a contact strip on the back of the hard drives. One is a 12 point connector the other is a 4.

Most SATA cables are RED.

If you don't have a SATA power cable, you can get a converter changer that will change standard power connectors to SATA

refer to your motherboard's diagram in the manual (i'm sure it can be acquired online too) to find your sata ports. sata interfaces only come in one size/shape, and you don't have to worry about connecting them wrong.

SATA connectors are about an inch long and around 1/4 inch wide and the connector is in the shape of an 'L'. You also will need SATA power adapters if your PSU doesn't have them. ($5 - $10 CDN)

You'll also have to configure SATA in your bios. I made a couple of mistakes the first time I set up my new system with SATA. First connect your HDD and make sure in your bios your HDD is the master of the first channell. Then if you have any optical drives connect them to your IDE inputs and make sure they are on a separate channell from the HDD ( if two optical drives on same channell make sure they're master & slave).
I messed this up at first and although the board auto-configured it all, I believe that it was responsible for some quirks that I had.....HDD must be master of 1st channell !!

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back