Motherboard, Sound, and Other Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talinok

All right... Before I get started, I want to make sure that you all know I'm only so-so with computers, and a complete noobie to these forums :( So - This being my first post here, I've read through the forum rules, the stickies, and a few other posts, and I don't think I'll be breaking any forum posting rules, but if I do, please let me know :)

I am getting all the software/drivers that I need for a reformat of my computer, and I need help with the Motherboard, Sound, and (possibly) BIOS drivers (Did I miss any other important drivers? - I already have the video card driver)...

Anyways - I have no idea where to download them, or even what motherboard/sound card that I have (Remember - I'm a noobie :()

I'm willing to open up my computer and look where someone tells me, etc., and I'm sorry this'll be a pain for someone, but I really need help with this - Anyone willing to guide me through this?

Thanks in advance for your time!
(And sorry for the long post)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Download and run the free Everest programme from HERE. It will give you lots of information about your system.

Once you`ve identified what motherboard(mobo) you have, go to your mobo manufacturers website for the drivers.

As for your soundcard, a lot depends on whether you`ve got onboard sound or a separate sound card.

If Everest says your soundcard is something like AC97, then this is onboard sound and you can get the drivers from your mobo manufacturers site.

Otherwise you would get the sound drivers from your soundcard manufacturers website.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thank you very much! Glad to be here...

Also - What about BIOS drivers? Should I even bother?

And - Did I miss any other important drivers that I would need? Besides Motherboard, Sound, BIOS, and Video, of course...

If your system is running fine, there`s no need to flash the bios. You should never flash a bios, unless there`s a very good reason to do so.

Regards Howard :)

OK - I won't do that then...

And - Downloaded EVEREST, found my motherboard info, etc...

Problem is that I click the link to bring me to the Driver Download for each of the products (Motherboard and VIA AC97 Audio), and it brings me to:

Motherboard: A website the uses Chinese characters that I can't understand, and...

Audio: A website that I need to further specify something about my audio, and it's not something that shows up on EVEREST

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 3000+
Motherboard Name Jetway Polaris 400/V400ADB/V400ADBL/V400DA/V400DAP/V400DAZ/V500DA/V500DAP/V600DA/V600DAP
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/07/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Heh...

And... A quote from a FAQ in another place...

"Also take a look at how outdated your bios is, and consider an update. If there have been 3 or 4 revisions since the one you have currently installed, it is probably best to update."

(My computer does frequently reboot, BSOD, etc., and that's why I'm doing the fresh install and all new drivers)

Would it really be that hard to update my BIOS? It's pretty old... Heh...

Just wondering... The top of that website said V500DA, and the label on the inside of my computer says V400DBL - Should I still download the stuff from that website?

Leave the bios update untill you have fininshed the reinstall, then see if you still get problems. Your BSOD`s might have something to do with your bios version, but it could also be caused by something else entirely.

Speaking of BSOD`s. Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Talinok said:
Just wondering... The top of that website said V500DA, and the label on the inside of my computer says V400DBL - Should I still download the stuff from that website?

No hang on, I`m searching for that model number, but as yet am unable to find it.

Yeah - I've been looking for this stuff for a couple of days straight, after school of course - It's been an nightmare =(

I`ve found your mobo model on this page HERE. Unfortunately, everytime I click on it, I get a 404 error with the website. I`ve tried with Firefox and IE. Maybe the website is having difficulties. See if you have better luck.

It might be a good idea to try and contact Jetway and see if they can help.

Talinok said:
And - Any ideas about my Chipset/Sound Drivers? (They're both made by VIA)

They are all related to your mobo. Ideally you should download them from your mobo manufacturers website, but we know the problems with that don`t we? lol.

Like I said, it might be a good idea to try www.Driverguide.com. You`ll have to register, but it is quite useful in finding hard to get drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back