Motherboard wont boot with new processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman_ncfc

Ok heres my problem
I recently received an old HP Brio computer from a friend who had not further use for it. It seemed like and alright system that i could probably make ok and sell on to someone or something.
Upon receiving the system i realized that it only had 64MB RAM and a 400MHz Pentium 3 Processor so i decided to upgrade.
First off i bought 2 new 128MB stacks of RAM, shoved them in and away we go into windows XP (why it was on there with that system i don't know!!!!) with 256MB showing up nicely
Then i decided to upgrade the processor to a decent one and invested a few pounds on ebay into a turion socket 370 1.3 processor.
I received it and put it in with a good layer of thermal paste, put the heat sink back and and turned on. Ah, problem the system turned on the power LED came on and the fan started spinning but no monitor signal nor any beeps.
OK i think this is probably because the turion is meant for servers so i went back on to ebay and bought a 1.2 Celeron for the system.
Received that through the post went through the same routine grounded myself put the processor in put on thermal paste and booted up.
Exactly the same problem no post no beeps no monitor signal nothing.
Thinking it might be a dead motherboard i put the old processor back in but the computer then boots normally.
Just wanted to know if you guys have any idea what the problem might be as i am stumped.
To summarize

1.2GHz celeron socket 370
10gig hard drive formatted on my other system
256MB RAM
Socket 370 Motherboard

Turns on no post no beeps just a fan spinning and a black screen on the monitor

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance Chris

As it's an HP, it probably has very, very limited BIOS support for processors.

I'd surf all over to see if HP has an update pack for the BIOS to add support for additional processors then try once more.

I'd highly recommend trying a Pentium 3, 1ghz 370 as if it has support for the pentium 3 and uses pc-133 memory, it'll most likely support the p3-1ghz.

DOES it use PC-133 memory at 133 speeds? You can most likely determine this using CPU-Z and inspecting the chipset it has. If it is a 133 fsb mainboard, you can likely strap a p3-1ghz in there. If it's crippled to pc-100 only, you can find a variety of p3-700-800-1ghz processors at 100mhz cpu bus speed that may work. It'll come down to (once again), limited BIOS support from HP.

Good luck!

lol sorry yeah i meant tualatin i get those names mixed up
hopefully will get on better with the new pentium 3

Wahey it works now got the Pentium 3 mentioned above and it all boots whirs around and runs xp at a reasonably good speed
Have just been offered £200 for it by someone so its going off tomorrow
Thanks so much guys
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back