Motherboards with Award bios: change your logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

You'll need these utilities: cbrom205.exe, bmp2epa.exe
A simple search should lead you to something.

Everytime your PC starts you may be forced to see a full screen logo of the manufacturer of your motherboard or PC; I'm not talking about the loading screen either which you can change in Windows anyways. Well say no more to these advertising billboards and customize your own logos. If you have a mobo that uses Award bios(mine is version 6 and I don't know if this mod works for previous versions) and are getting tired of the same old logo when your PC starts, follow my MOD, if you want to call it that.

Note: I just learned this a few minutes ago so do this at your own risk. :blackeye:

As always, back up your current bios, but you should be able to download them if you don't want to back them up. I certainly don't backup mine.

There are many versions of cbrom and I just happened to use cbrom205.

First step is to make a bitmap logo that's 640x480 8 bit and make sure you save it as .bmp. The file size of my logo was 300kb so make yours the same until everything works out fine. For simplicity, put cbrom205.exe, your bios file and the bitmap file in the same directory. In a dos prompt, change to the directory where the files are located. Type cbrom205 [your bios file] /logo [your bitmap file]. If everything worked out, you shouldn't see any error message. Basically what this does is replace the old logo with the new one inside the bios file. Next step is to flash your bios and see if every thing worked out fine or maybe not. :eek:

If you want to go a bit deeper, you can also change the small Energy Star compliant logo in the top-right corner of the screen, after the initial logo is displayed. This step is a bit more involving and I don't have time to show the details since I'll be going to school in a few minutes.

Remember the Golden! rule: never blame erwin1978. :rolleyes: If you don't like your logo, simply reload the old firmware.

I wish I have a digital camera so I can post how my boot-up screens look like; I replaced the energy star compliant logo with an nvidia logo and it looks really nice. I would probably personalize it even more with my name on it or something.

Here's one of the sites I've come across: Link me now.

I've seen this before, but I don't really pay much attention to it. I mean seriously, how often do you get to see the image at bootup and for how long, 2 seconds maybe??? I agree that it is a cool little trick and I would probably use it if I owned my own company or website to put up my logo, but not just to put a Nvidia pic in its place.

Call me lazy, but it's just not worth the effort to get to look at a Nvidia logo for 2 seconds before it goes away. Personally, I don't even pay attention to the energy logo on mine, myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your post or anything, because as SleeperDC said he found it interesting and it is, it's just that it is taking things a little overboard for me, and I've even changed my boot screen!

Just my 2 cents...

Who said you have to use an Nvidia logo. I just used Nvidia as an example since that was the logo I used to test this mod.

Right now I have Bart Simpson on his rocket skateboard. Now, if I can only disable the first logo screen from showing, I would be able to see Bart for a few seconds instead of a fraction of a second.

bart.gif

I definitely prefer seeing a wacky picture instead of that yellow star; it makes my PC feel more customized

A motherboard claims to have ATA 100 capability and I read that you can add Modules in the bios to give it ATA100 capability if it doesn't already have it. Isn't ATA100 hardwired in the mobo and not a software feature? My current mobo only has ATA66 and I would sure like the added 34 mhz if I can do so in the bios.

I thought that was what IDE controller cards were for??? Hmmm...this is interesting. I'll have to look around on this one.

Also, the bios on my motherboard doesn't have settings for switching mulitpliers; I wonder if I can tweak my bios so it does give me the option to change multiplier.

Uh Oh

:( I was flipping through my m/b user manual when I saw a little thing about changing your BIOS logo, so I downloaded the utility and did it, but it says its too big... and I'm afraid I broke it somehow, and now I'm afraid to restart my computer. I'm sooo worried, lol I have a Giga-Byte GA-K8NS motherboard

I was trying to give you a link to the program, but it won't let me... umm, go to the Gig-Byte website and search for Face Wizard and click on the first result

Thanks in advance, because I'm so worried I'm fixing to soil myself! LOL! :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back