Motorola shows off several upcoming Moto Mods including an Amazon Alexa add-on, Switch-style...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Modular smartphone accessories may not have worked for LG and its flagship from a year ago, the G5, but others like Motorola aren’t ready to give up on the concept.

Lenovo’s Motorola late last year promised 2017 would see the arrival of an onslaught on Moto Mods and at Mobile World Congress, the company delivered.

During its presentation in Barcelona, Motorola unveiled that it is working with Amazon on an Alexa Moto Mod that’ll deliver Echo-like functionality to attached Moto devices. Motorola says that just like with the Echo, the Alexa Moto Mod will allow users to do things like control their smart home, check the news, request a ride from Uber and more through simple voice commands.

Another new mod, the Moto Power Pack, is a battery add-on that’ll supply 50 percent more juice without adding much bulk. There’s also a new wireless charging Moto Mod, a game pad that transforms a mobile device into a Nintendo Switch-looking handheld when attached and a fast-charging mod. Motorola also showcased a handful of concept mods including a photo printer, a mod that allows for the use of multiple SIM cards, a VR headset and an interactive LED cover with custom animations, among others.

The Moto Power Pack is set to arrive next month priced at $49. The Gamepad Moto Mod won’t drop until this summer; no word yet on when the others will launch or how much they’ll sell for.

Images courtesy Profit.kz, Twitter

Permalink to story.

"a game pad that transforms a mobile device into a Nintendo Switch-looking handheld"

I believe that Nintendo ripped the controllers on the side of a tablet idea off other tablet makers, not the other way around. Don't give credit to Nintendo for doing something that's been around for awhile.

"a game pad that transforms a mobile device into a Nintendo Switch-looking handheld"

I believe that Nintendo ripped the controllers on the side of a tablet idea off other tablet makers, not the other way around. Don't give credit to Nintendo for doing something that's been around for awhile.

I agree with the Nintendo comment.

I wish the battery pack, which sounds like its 1300mh would include wireless charging like the other 2200 mh batteries already have.

Back