Mouse Pointer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobwill

Hi All,

I am running xp home with sp2.

I booted my computer today and found that the mouse behaviour has changed. I have to turn the mouse 90 degrees to the right to move the pointer predictably. I.E. the pointer will move right to left when the mouse is moved up and down and up and down when the mouse is moved left to right. This is extremely annoying. I am unable to find the setting to change the orientation back.

Please - if you know how to fix this tell me - it's driving me nuts.

Will.

1. check for viri.
2. clean your mouse if it is a ball mouse
3. go to mouse control in the control panel

Thank you both for getting back to me.

I have done a thorough virus scan with avast and found nothing.
I have looked at the mouse control in control panel and cannot find anything that changes the orientation / behaviour of the pointer in relation to movement of the mouse.
I have booted into safe mode and the problem persists.

The little reading I have done prior to posting suggested that moding the registry could affect mouse behaviour. I have run registry mechanic 3 days ago. I did a system restore set by registry mechanic - the problem is still here.

Do you have any other ideas apart from format C: ?

Will

The mouse is optical and connects via a PS2 port.

Hi all

have started a thread in 'other hardware' called 'mouse pointer problems' and have been advised by special forces to post an HJT log file here.

I hope you are able to help.

Will.

Howard,

as requested have posted a logfile in the 'security and the web' forum/. Hope you guys are able to help.

Will

PS - thanks again.

Hi,

Have just put in an optical mouse via usb. Everything works as it should. I cannot update the mouse driver as it is the latest version found by the update manager for the PS2 mouse so have uninstalled and reinstalled it yesterday - with no effect.

As I type the mouse cursor has started to skip and jump over the screen. :(

Will.

Let me get this straight. You`ve tried another mouse(usb) and had no problems?

You then connected the original ps/2 mouse and the problems have reappeared?

If I`ve got it right, then you either have a faulty mouse or your ps/2 port is faulty.

The only way to test if it`s the ps-2 mouse that`s faulty, is to test using another ps/2 mouse.

Regards Howard :)

Howard,

I hate to admit in public that I am a bloody *****, but find that I must. I have just unplugged and plugged in the ps/2 mouse and guess what? - No more problem.

Thanks again for the help you've given me with this - it's been really helpful!

Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back