Mouse speed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a weird problem.

I have a toshiba satellite m40 laptop, and wanted to replace my (kinda broken) mouse with a new one. My old mouse is a Microsoft notebook optical mouse (model 1020), and it worked fine but the wheel got all gummed up so it needed to get replaced. I went and bought a nexxtech laser mouse with retractable cord (model 2616542, i think), and plugged it in. The mouse speed went totally crazy, going about a dozen times as fast as my touchpad or my old mouse. Went into the mouse settings in the control panel, no dice, nothing worked. If i slow my mouse down to a reasonable speed, my touchpad slows to a crawl. It came with a driver (supposed to be installed only under windows 98), but eventually i tried installing that too, didn't work. If i slow the mouse down, can't use touchpad, and if i speed it up, can't use mouse. With my old mouse back in, it works fine. Any ideas on how to get the new mouse acting sane?

Are you sure you only were given drivers for 98? With my logitech mouse there was a connectivity suite that can be used to adjust setting ONLY for the attached mouse. Give another look at the CD to see if there is something else.

I know this works because my wireless mouse is much faster than my USB mouse, and that is even faster than my touchpad.

I've never had to deal w/ the mice on a laptop before, so I may be wrong. But the drivers may have caused an enormous acceleration driver for your mouse; have you tried using the mouse w/ the default Windows drivers? I personally use a Logitech MediaPlay optical, and when I install the drivers for it the sensitivity gets way out of whack. When I uninstalled them, it returned to the original speed/acceleration. Just try it w/ the default ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back