Moved folder, now access is denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question, but here it goes. I moved my 3 folders that I keep my class notes in from My documents -> school -> notes to my documents -> school --> old notes. About 2 seconds later, without restarting, logging off, changing users, etc, I tried to open one of the folders and it said access denied. I cannot delete them undo the move or open them. So, I restarted into safe mode, logged on as administrator (the security tab did not show in normal mode and I read somewhere to do it in safe mode), right clicked on the folder, click the security tab, etc and changed ownership to my user. Now I can open the folder however I cannot open any of the hundreds of files that are in the folders.

Most recently, I downloaded some zip files for class to my desktop and then tried to move them to my notes folder. When I tried to extract them, it said access denied. When I redownloaded them to the desktop (because I can't move them from the notes folder) I could unzip them and open the files from the desktop.

To make a long story short, any time I move a file to another location on my computer I can't open the file. I would appreciate any help.

like I said, I already tried that, yes, I can access the folders then, but I have to go through and take ownership of every single file and there are over 100 of them. Also, I shouldn't have to boot into safe mode and go through all that every time I move a file on my computer. I need to know how to make my computer stop denying me access when I move the file. It's not like the files were from another installation of windows xp or were created by anyone but me. I created all the files, on the exact same Windows that I am having the problem with. I have not changed anything like user names. I am the only user on the computer, the files aren't being moved to another user, just to another folder. For example from Desktop to My Documents.

so why do you change users
are they all admin
some info is missing here
you have security issues with shared files/folder
I would setup a group policy if you don't want all to be admin
each admin is explicate to the permissions you give
if you want all admin to access don't use one of them to take ownership use administrator or the main group
need for security then do a new group policy ,setup an area where your folder will be kept and allow this group to access

I said I DID NOT have any other users on my computer. I am the admin. I am the only user. I created all the files in the folders. When I move any file or folder from one location on my computer to another I lose access. Not moving files between users (becuase there are no other users), but moving from one folder in My Documents to another or from Desktop to My Documents.

safe mode->properties-Security

when you took ownership you took the FOLDER but not the children files.

add your name and give FULL control

now check both boxes at the bottom of the screen and click apply

the movement
My documents\school\notes ---> my documents\school\old notes
should NOT have impacted you in this manner.
I suggest you go back to SAFE Mode
  1. go to \Documents & Settings
  2. and take ownership,
  3. add your login,
  4. set full control and
  5. check the boxes at the bottom and
  6. apply
This will refresh the permissions on your Profile area and you should be fine from
then on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back