Moving Windows XP's Documents and Settings Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I've seen it done before; but I can't really get it to work. I've tinkered around in the registery and done the best I can. But how the heck do you move the Documents and Settings folder to another location? I really would like to have them off on my D drive.

I think its actually easier than that. I don't have a machine I can test it on right now, but I believe you just right click and go to properties and you can change its location there.

You can't change the location in properties, however, you can move an individual system folder as such. That will move an individual "My Documents" folder or such if you're logged in as the user.

It will not, however, move all profiles (as those files will be in use by some profile.) It probably won't move another user's system folder as I don't think windows will write to that CSID's registry entries. Power toys will change the environment variable for all profiles but not move the directory. You'll have to move the profiles into the new directory manually after you've changed the directory.

The most ideal situation, however, is to create an unattended.txt file to just set the directory at install time.

See *ttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q236621

Hope this helps.

Of course, be sure to back up your data before attempting ANY such manipulation of the system, as MS is know for being risky at best when doing that.

OFC it doesnt help !!! doesnt anyone read what it recomends (f*BOT) it's only for Win2000/2003 not for the XP. In fact the whole thread it's waste of webspace and someones time who's searching for how to documents and seting move to another partition than %SystemRoot%

Yes well here's the XP link for that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314843/
But since this thread is 2 years old, it's always advised to create your own New Thread a lot has changed in the last 2 years, XP is now up to SP3, and MS articles are always subject to change, as that original link by Goalie had as well.

We couldn't possibly go through all the old threads and make updated amendments. They can certainly be used as reference, but any further issues, again make your own New Thread and ask for help. (no attack necessary)

You can move "My Documents" to another location, as for the entire "Documents and Settings" folder, I haven't heard of it or never had a reason to look for ways to do it.

The option to move "My Documents" folder and everything in it only appears if you right clicked on "My Documents" from the Start Menu and not from "My Computer", Windows Explorer or any other location.

Not sure if this is what you are after.

EDIT: LOL, I just noticed the date after reading your post kimsland!

OFC it doesnt help !!! doesnt anyone read what it recomends (f*BOT) it's only for Win2000/2003 not for the XP.

And the instructions for XP differ... how? It's not a waste, the information is 100% applicable to XP as well.

Please leave your attitude at home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back