MS Office 2002 Opens docs slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

When opening a word or excel document by double clicking on the .doc or .xls file it takes ages.

Opening word is almost instant and going to Open -> File brings up the same files almost instantly.

Some maybe causes that i've tried

I don't have Norton anti-virus so not a virus check.
I've removed Reg keys so they've been recreated so no corruption there.
I've removed all printers so not a network printer problem.
I've replaced Normal.dot so not a corrupt Template
Nothing in startup folder so not starting loads of rubbish
I've run winword.exe /a

Is there any reason for this!!!! Driving some people in my office potty!!!

Other AV programs, such as AVG, also make a virus-check when opening a document.
Are those docs stored on a server perhaps, that may be slowing it down?

What are the specs of that PC, what Windows version etc?
When did you do the last defrag? How much space left on the harddisk?
What other programs are open?

we need the specs that realblackstuff ask, in order to help you, if you had the most common vers of windows, try in RUN the "msconfig" command look in services or startup sections for something that could be interfering with office

:wave:

sorry for the late reply

Thankyou for replying.

I'm sorry I didn't pick up my emails sooner.

The specs of Office/OS are:

Office XP 2002
Windows XP SP 2

Other programs running:

Kaspersky Virus Scan - Ran with it closed and still the same :(

Computer Spec:

Computer is a Pentium 3 with 256MB of memory and a recently Defragged HD that has about 17GB free.

I know 256MB isn't much but it is just insane the difference in load times when you open word and then open the file to when you double click on the file.

Your PC is a bit thin on memory, with XP/SP2 and Kaspersky checking everything in Real Time.
Another 256MB would give your PC 'wings'.

Alternatively, if you use Word regularly, keep it open all day. When you then doubleclick a .doc file it opens almost instantly.

Yeap!!!. maybe you notice this slowdown when you install the sp2 of xp, you have very thin ram for the both primary specs you mention in your issue, get some more ram and see what happends, if another 256 do nothing, re-install office,,,,,,,

check it out!!
:bounce:

RAM RAM RAM, the more the better. With 512 you'll notice a big leap in performance. more than that the performance gets marginally better above the 512 mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back