MSI ATI RADEON X800XT slowly died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus79

I recently got myself an MSI ATI Radeon X800XT which to begin with was extremely unstable even with the latest ATI drivers (the MSI drivers were useless and performed really badly).

The solution to this was simple all I needed to do was completely remove the drivers via uninstall and reinstall them...first time I have ever needed to do this, but hey it worked! :)

Not long after my PC wouldn't start up intermittently, all power would come on, but it would just hang with the monitor not even kicking in. Eventually it would kick in after I turned it on and off a few times.

So today I get home from work turn on the PC, same thing happens, but this time it doesn't correct itself.

I take out the card and replace it with a trusty GeForce 5600 which is a good few years old, and it starts up fine.

One thing I did notice is next to the AGP slot there is a red light which flickers when I insert a card. It does this for the 5600, but not for the X800 so I'm assuming somewhere something has probably blown in the card and the mobo no longer detects it's there.

The X800XT also requires extra power from the PSU so there is a possibility it's not powerful enough I suppose, but it obviously gets power since the fan starts up when I turn the PC on.

Basically I'm just asking for clarification from people in the know that it is the graphics card that's faulty.

My system specs are:
PSU: 450W
Mobo: Asus A7N8X2.0
AMD Athlon 2500XP
1GB PC3200 400MHz (running at 333mhz since CPU is 333mhz, I have every intention of upgrading at some point, but it's never caused a problem)
2 x 80GB Hard Drive
1 x DVD ROM
1 x DVD ReWriter
MSI ATI RADEON X800XT (currently Geforce 5600)
Is this too much load for my PSU?

I never have overheating problems, just to rule that out.

Thanks for any help.

Just to quickly answer your PSU question, we need more info to answer you.

Unforuntately, there is a HUGE range in quality for PSUs. There are really good 450w PSUs, and really bad 450w PSUs.

What make/model is yours? We need to take a look and see how many amps it pumps out on each rail, and the 12v rail in particular.

Ok here goes:

It's Jeantech Model: JN120F-450-AP.

Voltage:

115V ~ - 230V ~ (it'll be the 230V since I'm in the UK)
+3.3v = 30A (250W)
+5v = 45A (250W)
+12v = 22A (264W)
Max overall = 423W

Current:

-5v = 0.5A, 5W
-12v = 1A, 12W
+5V = 2.5A, 12.5W

Hope this helps, thanks again.

Cyrus79 said:
One thing I did notice is next to the AGP slot there is a red light which flickers when I insert a card. It does this for the 5600, but not for the X800 so I'm assuming somewhere something has probably blown in the card and the mobo no longer detects it's there.

Interesting that the 5600 gives you the light, and you are able to boot up!?!

I thought that red led means that a 3.3V card is inserted into the AGP slot and that the card is incompatible. I also thought that when that red light is on, the computer is not even supposed to turn on!!

Hmmm. Some more info on that red warning light:

The red AGP warning LED is an absolutely useless feature, it's suppose to warn users when a 3.3V (2x AGP) based videocard is inserted into the slot, but that would never be a problem with the 4x AGP lock (4x AGP cards run on 1.5V, 8x run on 0.8V). I guess it sounds good for the marketing department.
source: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1341

Your PSU numbers look pretty good as far as I can see.....

That is strange about the red light, although it only flickers, it doesn't stay on so it's probably nothing.

I'll just send the card back for a replacement, if the same thing happens then there must be another problem somewhere.

I did forget to mention that previous to the X800XT I did have a Sapphire 9600XT, which I gave to a friend and never had any problems, hence why I'm using the Geforce 5600 instead.

Thanks for the help.

If you haven't already, it may be worth a shot to uninstall the nvidia drivers completely (do it in safe mode) then reboot and reinsall the latest.

I would also update your chipset drivers and bios to see if there are any updates to solve your problem.

If all those fail, THEN return the card. That's the path I would follow anyways.

Good luck!

Hi i had a EA800XT card that did burned up... so asus did send me a replacement card...
And did work for 27 seconds when i did run 3dmark03 after that it did reboot my PC.
So asus did send me a NEW ea800xt card... but when i start my PC the monitor dosent start.
I get the green light for 2 seconds then it goes orange and the monitor goes into standby mode.
2 times the pc did start...
First time after bios upgrade and second time after i unpluged all other stuff on the same fuse like lamps, fridge etc. But after i did reboot the monitor wouldent start.
But i can hear the windows loading in the speakers (i can login when i click tab 2 times and put in my password)
So i change to another pci-expresscard and the monitor work... change back to my 800xt card and still the monitor doesent start.
I have also change between my 2 cards 15-20 times... and i got my geforce 6600 working all of the times... but my 800XT card only worked 2 times.
I have runned driver cleaner.
I have upgrade the motherboard bios.
I have a 400w psu. Q-teck i think the name is on it.
Motherboard is a asus P4GD1... i got the card working 2 times... but not no more. i need some help!!

I have tested my card to 3 diffrent MB and the card worked fine... but not on my own MB... but the 2 first card did worked on my MB but not the last and new one.
Maybe it could be my PSU that´s to small... but if have been working with the same CARD before.
I think i have tried everything.

Could it be cuz my 800XT card is so NEW that it cant work with my Asus MB? Both card is Asus.

MB Asus P4GD1
CPU 2.4 pentium socket 478
1 gig ram
120 gig HD
100 gig HD
40 gig HD
400w Q.teck PSU

Sorry for my bad English i am a tired old man from Sweden.

Help me please

DonNagual said:
If you haven't already, it may be worth a shot to uninstall the nvidia drivers completely (do it in safe mode) then reboot and reinsall the latest.

I would also update your chipset drivers and bios to see if there are any updates to solve your problem.

If all those fail, THEN return the card. That's the path I would follow anyways.

Good luck!

All of this was already done. Thanks again.

Just a quick update.

I have tried the graphics card in a friends PC and it does exactly the same thing except his is a bit more 'vocal' in that it just beeps at me when the PC is turned on, but other than that its the same symptoms.

Well, good news... sort of?

I guess either your card is not compatible on your friends board (not likely if he has AGP8x and a decent PSU) or that card needs to be RMAd.

DonNagual said:
Well, good news... sort of?

I guess either your card is not compatible on your friends board (not likely if he has AGP8x and a decent PSU) or that card needs to be RMAd.

Definitely going to be RMA'd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back