MSN Virus / HJT log included

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine got a virus over msn - it was a message from a friend saying something like "hey you're in this picture" with a link or something similar.. so of course being unfamiliar with the form on msn viruses she clicked it and got herself infected. I said I'd try and help out and fix it if possible.

I ran the Smitfraud fix as I found it continually appearing in the adaware/spybot scans I tried - found a number of infected files and removed them - and also tried the other programs listed. VundoFix just seemed to run forever or repeat over the same files - in the end I had to stop it as it seemed to be going on and on and on - didn't find anything either.

Symptoms:
- Internet explorer windows open all the time with ads. Home page also is changed to an advertising site.
- MSN messages are sent to online contacts with a link and a similar message that she recieved (this MAY have been fixed)
- IE doesn't seem to want to run from the desktop icon anymore, yet windows still appear with ads.
- Another attempt to remove the problem involved installing Norton AV however during one step I was unable to proceed. Internet Explorer windows kept opening up one after the other continually. Looking at the tasklist there were multiple IE processes and at one point 30+ explorer.exe processes. I was unable to complete the install - so that didn't work either!

HJT Log included - any help appreciated!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

There`s all kinds of nasty stuff in that HJT log.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as an attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of colblair only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back