Multiple Hardware Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to have one profile load with a particular DNS configuration, and another load with automatic properties.

I run two networks in my office: workgroup and Active Directory. Active Directory clients need to have DNS manually configured so their AD profile loads quickly. Workgroup client have tcip and dns configured to automatic.

However, when AD client laptops attempt to access the internet away from the office, they are unsuccessful due to the static DNS setting. I'd like to be able to have two hardware profiles available at system boot-up, i.e. Office Network, Non-office Network.

The office network hardware profile would run with the static dns when users are in the office, and the non-office network would pull tcip and dns automatically.

I've tried to create this, but network properties remain the same for all hardware profiles. Is there another way to accomplish what I have in mind? Perhaps a script or batch file that runs at startup. The routine would watch for certain conditions when out of the office.

For example, if a static DNS address is detected at startup, a registry hack would run to clear that out. At system shutdown, another registry hack would run to add back the same static DNS address. This way, when the system is lauched away from the office, tcip and dns would be set to automatic as a result of the registry. This obviously would enable internet access.

Any thoughts?

pmorris said:
I need to have one profile load with a particular DNS configuration, and another load with automatic properties.

I run two networks in my office: workgroup and Active Directory. Active Directory clients need to have DNS manually configured so their AD profile loads quickly. Workgroup client have tcip and dns configured to automatic.

However, when AD client laptops attempt to access the internet away from the office, they are unsuccessful due to the static DNS setting. I'd like to be able to have two hardware profiles available at system boot-up, i.e. Office Network, Non-office Network.

The office network hardware profile would run with the static dns when users are in the office, and the non-office network would pull tcip and dns automatically.

I've tried to create this, but network properties remain the same for all hardware profiles. Is there another way to accomplish what I have in mind? Perhaps a script or batch file that runs at startup. The routine would watch for certain conditions when out of the office.

For example, if a static DNS address is detected at startup, a registry hack would run to clear that out. At system shutdown, another registry hack would run to add back the same static DNS address. This way, when the system is lauched away from the office, tcip and dns would be set to automatic as a result of the registry. This obviously would enable internet access.

Any thoughts?
hardware profiles are just that, HARDWARE device controls, not software configurations :)

IF you would use DHCP everywhere, all the time, then the systems would
do the right thing wherever the systems attach to a lan.

Your problem is the use of static DNS :(

Business class laptops often come with software meant for exactly that - many network profiles.

Anyway, why do you need static DNS for faster profile loads? Loading the profiles happens after TCP/IP configuration and with DHCP it takes exactly the same amount of time no matter if you have static or dynamic DNS settings. (Or do you have static IP addresses too?)

This looks like an AD or DHCP misconfiguration issue, not something that happens by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back