Multiple Partitions for 500GB SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

Hi, I have a 500GB HDD that I installed "windows xp pro sp2" onto. But some Nvidia firewall drivers started causing problems with alot of things on my system so i moved all my valuable data off of this drive to another one so i can format it and start over from scratch.
so now I want to install onto it "Windows xp pro x64" because my processor supports it, but i want to partition my drive into 2 partitions 10GB for the OS and the rest for all my MEDIA & Personal Data.
Can sumone please tell me how would i go about doing this and what apps i will need.
Thanks in advance

You don't need any special programs.

During the Windows installation, you are asked where you want to install Windows. In the same scren you can also manage partitiond. Remove all existing ones. Create a new partition that is 10GB in size and then create another one that fills the rest of the disk. Choose to install Windows on the 10GB. Use quick format.

After finishing the installation, format the huge partition in the Windows DIsk Manager.

i'm curious about hard drives that are over 130 gigs. There is something about possiblity of losing data if you have hard drives over this big. Is there a way to prevent that? or is it a good idea to just partition your drives like 60gigs each etc..anybody know? i think i've had data lossed before on my 200 gig one...after awhile..using almost 80% caused some of my games to malfunction...maybe someone knows about this :p could help you out too since ure hd is 500gigs

i've never heard anything about losing data just becuase you have a large drive over 130GB. if your having trouble with your Hard Drive try using a combination of Diskeeper which constanly keeps your drive defragmented & Spinrite 6 which will work miracales on drives with data loss and read and write errors.. they are realy useful apps that everyone should have..

just for your information, x64 is a very underdevelloped version of XP, you may want to reconcider.

Regards,

Korrupt

Deviouz said:
i've never heard anything about losing data just becuase you have a large drive over 130GB. if your having trouble with your Hard Drive try using a combination of Diskeeper which constanly keeps your drive defragmented & Spinrite 6 which will work miracales on drives with data loss and read and write errors.. they are realy useful apps that everyone should have..

DEviouz, are these programs that constantly run in the backround? or are they something you just use every now and then to keep your hd in check

Thanks alot devious, I think i'm going to get spinrite. It might fix some of the programs that are messed up. Now that i think of it..i dont think i've defragged my computer for awhile now hehe:p thanks for the tip. have you used this? how often do you use it? how often do you defrag your harddrive?

well from what i ve read you should use spin rite any where from every month to every 4 months to keep your hdd in good health and diskeeper recomends defragmentsing your hdd daily.. just got to those links and read all their info..
happy i could help :)

just wondering since i got these 2 partitions now on this 500GB hdd, i made one 10GB for the OS and the left the rest for all my personal DATA-Media..
so my question is, is there a way to lock the DATA-Media Partition from accidently or purposly being formated, say for instance when i want to re-install a new OS on the 10GB Partition.??

one more quick question: is there a way to increase the size of a partition after you've already made it when installing the OS. i made a 5GB partition for WIN XP PRO and after the OS was installed i only had 1.88GB left.. i think i might need a lil more for when i install more apps.. is this possible at all or do i have to delete all the partitions and start over from scratch again.???

yep
use 3rd part softs like acronis or paragon to free up some space then add to the 1st partition
this takes about 4 steps with reboots let chkdsk run
before you do this copy your OS partition to safe area or make backup disc's
you never can tell how windows will react to system change
speakin of you may want to turn of ssd protection for now
if running xp go to boot ini make a copy change origin. where it says
/noexecute=optin to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
reboot then do your thing
remember to change this back

Although 10 Gb for XP is a good size just a friendly reminder that you will want to keep in mind that ; My documents, temp Internet files, just to name a few, grow over time. This can cause havoc unless you do regular house keeping.
Do a Search here, there have been some excellent discussions on Disk partitioning Schemes. You would be wise to plan that Big HDD out before you load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back