Must Always "Repair Connection" to Stay Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day All:

Running Windows XP Pro SP2 Custom Intel 3.4G 2 Gigs of RAM
Netgear NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter with most recent Driver
Surfboard SB3100 Cable Modem Direct to Ethernet Adapter

Connected my laptop, no problems. Ruled out the Modem, the network card, updated the net card Driver, all is working fine. XP System restore useless as always. DHCP lease begins at every "Repair Connection" length 24 hours. Ruled out Virus software & ad/malware. Ruled out ISP.

Connection was working fine up until the moment I did a "Compress Old Files" in the System Tools/Disk Cleanup.

My connection stays alive random 15 to 30 seconds, then I have to do a Repair Connection. That gets me another 15 seconds of internet before I have to Repair Connection again.

ISP Dynamic IP assignment, however IP will no longer change.

Is someone willing offer any ideas I could work before I do a new install?

Thank you for your help.
JD

"connection stays alive" means what? Or more specifically, how does your disconnection look like? What fails? What messages do you get?

Nodsu said:
"connection stays alive" means what? Or more specifically, how does your disconnection look like? What fails? What messages do you get?

Good day to you. There was no message at all. The connection speed just throttled down and died.

Strike this up as another lesson learned. The problem ended up being the network card itself. While I thought I had ruled it out simply because I had purchased it new and installed it only 2 weeks ago, I guess it was defective after all. I installed another card, and I'm back in business.

Thank you all for your replies, your time and trouble. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back