My 1000 Dollar Gaming Build. Choices Galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRunyon

Hey... I have about a thousand dollars to build myself a great gaming computer. While gaming, I spend 95% of my time on MMORPG's and the other 5% of my time downloading and trying random demos just to admire graphics. Just browsing around NewEgg only half knowing what I was doing I built the following setup:

--My Setup----
AMD 4200+ Dual Core Processor – 183.00
DFI Lanparty Sli Support Mobo – 100.00
2GB High Spec G.Skill RAM – 220.00
eVGA 7950GT 512mb Graphics Card – 295.00
250GB SATA 3gb/s Hard Drive – 68.00
x2 DVD/CR-RW Drive – 30.00
Cooler Master Case – 45.00
600w Power Supply – 40.00

I showed this to my buddy and hes like 'd00d'... then went on to say that a new Intel Duo E6300 would be a much faster processor for that price at the moment and that a X1950XT would perform better then the 7950GT for an extra like 30 bucks. The thing is, I want to be ready for dual graphics cards and I cant find a good LGA775 crossfire motherboard in my price range. That whole setup just gave me a major headache trying to figure it out...

- What do you all think of my friend's idea?
- Do you like my setup? Something I should change, perhaps?
- Can you build a completely different combo for 1000 dollars that I would be happier with?
- Is there something really good dropping down into my price range within the next month thats really worth waiting for?

I'm going to bed... thanks for any advice in advance. Hopefully I'll have some answers tomorrow so I can get a jump on developing my wishlist in NewEgg :)

Your friend is right, the core 2's from intel are faster. I would stick with SLI instead of going Crossfire. SLI is more mature and seems to work better. If you plan on going sli, get a 7900 instead of 7950 and you will save yourself a boat load of dough.

Memory looks fine and for you hdd you might want to check out the 320GB Seagate perpindicular hdd. I think it goes for about $94 on newegg. Runs a bit warm but is very quick.

What brand is the power supply? $40 for a 600W seems suspiciously low. Probably doesn't have many amps on the 12 volt lines and will cause you problems if/when you go sli. If you can post all of the links to newegg in a future post we might be able to give some more advice.

Hey.

Wow, thanks alot. Thats a really nice setup... I think I definitely need to do alot more research before I settle on something, though. Otherwise, I'll end up reselling it on eBay a month later like my last rig.

Why do Intel motherboards seem so expensive?

DO NOT^ get that video card, a card costing 100$ less blows it out of the water! Get the X1900GT for 200$, or 7900GTO for 250$, or X1900XT for 250$. All of these carts ouperform 7950gt.

He seems to want to stay with Nvidia because he wants to use Sli in the future instead of Crossfire. That said any of the 7900's in Sli (or single) would be great.

Opps, I didn't read that :)

Ok, then a 7950GT would be good, 2 would be terrific!!

But I'm afraid that if you want two 7950GT's, you'll need an even better, at least a $$$$$ 550 W power supply $$$$$

Wolfram makes a good point regarding the power supply. To SLI two 7950GT's, it would be closer to a 650W or higher power supply. For a pair of 7950GX2's Nvidia recommends power supplies of 650W to 900W and above. Here is a link to their site. Nvidia

You might want to consider buying an SLI ready power supply now instead of buying a lesser one now and having to buy SLI psu later anyway. Saves money in the long run although I can understand if you don't want to do so at this time.

I'm starting the first day of my first job tomorrow. Maybe I should wait for my first paycheck so I have the extra 200 - 250 dollars to spend. I'm also an assistant DJ and I have three parties coming up... two that pays 75 bucks and one that pay 150 bucks. Perhaps in my case waiting a little while can only help and I shouldnt try to rush things. I'd rather pay the extra 150 bucks and get the componants I know will kick *** together rather then downgrade a bit and have the guilt lingering in the back of my mind.

Then again, anything is better then the 1GHz PIII with 512mb RAM I am on. Plus a Radeon 9200. Plus, its a Dell.

I think I'll wait for a bit more money. I was also hoping to step it up to an E6400. They performed better then even the E6600 in most tests on this one site I was on, it was strange but it seems to be really nice so I'll spend the extra 60 bucks on that, too. Or maybe AMD will have something better by then...

Plus I want two opical drives. Not that I ever copy and CD's or even burn anything, just for resale later down the road. Thats also why I want to make it SLi or Crossfire ready... so in a year or two I might be able to get 900 dollars for it on eBay and build something better.

Maybe I should just build an 800 dollar rig.

Something I can throw another graphics card and gig of ram in down the road.

If you want to sli to 7950GT's, you really need it. It costs a lot to play games on ultra high settings..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back