My 8800GT wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an eVGA 8800GT superclocked. After I installed it my computer would turn on but it wouldnt boot up (or make any beeping noises). At first I thought the card might be DOA but im starting to think its the power supply. Before I installed this card i was running 2 6800XT's and they still work so theres nothing wrong with my motherboard.

Here are my system specs:
CPU: AMD x2 3800+
Mobo: GA-K8N Pro-SLI
RAM: 2GB (Dual Channel)
PSU: XION 450W (came with case)

Heres a pic of the specs for the PSU
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4701lb7.jpg

My first guess would be the cheap power supply. You need to upgrade to a quality brand with at least 500w. Also older PS's dont have the right power connector for the 8800's. I normally reccomend Antec or Enermax but Ive been running an Ultra 500w SLI for a year and its worked perfectly. I think they are about $40 now.

i brought the card over to a friends house to try it on his comp and it did the same thing. his system is running a 8800 GTS 320mb.

You may be running a faulty card or perhaps it's something less complicated like a bad BIOS but anyway you will still need to return the card to the manufacturer to figure that out.

i'm with julio. return it. see if the new card works. and while you're waiting for the new gt to arrive, might as well get at least a 500watt power supply while you're at it. solve two potential problems with one shot.

in the meantime, download the latest bios versions from your motherboard manufacturer's website or something, and if the new card gives you crap, we can go in another direction. but i'm half tempted to say that it was both not enough power and a faulty card at the same time. a 450watt that doesn't run at least 70% efficiency at load will not do the job for a card like that. you need to go at least 500watts.

i'm going to be buying a gt of my own sometime in the coming 2 or 3 months whenever i pull the money together. so this might be some good info for me too.

Thanks for all your responses. I ordered an Antec TruePower Trio 650 Power Supply (might be a bit overkill but i like to plan for the future....SLI?) and im sending my graphics card back to newegg.

Hey guys, I just got my EVGA 8800GT (regular) yesterday, this was the final peice I was waiting on to finish building my PC, I'm running OCZ gamersxtream 700W PSU, q6600 processor, G. skill 2x2gb 800mhz, abit IN9 32x-max with latest bios update 1.3, and after putting all the pieces together, at start nothing on the moniters, 8800gt fan maxing out. I tried a diffrent video card on my system and it worked fine, tried the 8800gt in a diffrent cpu, did not work. called EVGA techsupport, when I told him that at boot up the mb is beeping 1 long beep following with 3 fast ones, he told me that either my MB , or video card is bad, since I checked and MB was fine, so we found out that the video card is bad, before hanging up the phone the tech guy told me that there is alot of defected cards out there, and they have been getting alot of phone callse from customers that bought their card from frys.com.

Just so that you know, since no one pointed this out. You will need a power supply that provides about 22 or more amps to the +12v rail.

To determine this, look on the side of your PSU (you will most likely be able to see this information on the side of the power supply that you can see, with the desktop case pulled off). You will see lots of information about the +12v rail, the -12v rail and other power information. It will need to have at least 22A under the +12v (NOT the -12v).

I believe you will also need an ATX 2.2 power supply according to several sources I have seen (one being Best Buy's product page for the BFG Nvidia Geforce OC) which requires less power than most other 8800GT cards.

Stay away from cheap power supplies also.

So, requirements are:
ATX 2.2 power supply
22A on the +12V rail

Some high quality power supplies are: PC Power & Cooling (All Turbo Cool & ULTRA-QUIET SILENCER 610W & 750W), Seasonic (S-12, S-12E+, M-12), Corsair, Silverstone (Zeus models ST56ZF, ST75ZF, and ST85ZF).

Others that should be fine: Enermax, Antec, Enhance, Fortron (FSP), Hiper (Type-M 670W & 730W & Type-R 730W). I-Star, OCZ Technology, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Silverstone, Sparkle, Tagan, Thermaltake ToughPower (Only the ToughPower Line!), Vantec & XCilo.

I recently purchased the CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply for my BFG Geforce 8800GT OC card. It has 33A on the +12V rail which is more than ideal for the requirements. It's also one of the cheapest high quality power supplies you can get for what the 8800GT needs.

Product page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

This may or may not be your problem, but I would bet money that it IS. You have a very cheap PSU since it came with your case. Get rid of it. Trust me. There is no "maybe he is right" or "maybe he isn't". You can't run the 8800GT with that PSU.

UPDATE.... As you can see on my post above my EVGA 8800gt did not work, so the same day that I posted above post, I went to BestBuy, and they had it in their shipment for that day, I waited and got it........ worked fine the 1st 30min, then CPU either freezing or Blue screen is coming out...... downloaded latest updates on almost everything, MB, video card, etc. then I downladed RivaTuner, and set fan speeds at 80-90%(very loud) now I can go on for 1-2+ hours, then my cpu either freezes or Blue screen .... 0x00000124 (0X00000000, 0X87A7C368, 0XB2000040, 0X00000800) .... I really don't know what to do.. this is the info on my PSU(see attached) it looks like +12v4 which is the pci e conection has only 18A......help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back