My CD-Rom at work wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you can always take your CDROM out and take it apart to clean the lens up a bit, that usually takes care of the problem, but that can be tricky if you don't know what your doing.

It sounds to me like your CDROM is bad.

I don't know what you cash flow is but there really not expensive at all if you do have to put in a new one.

Good luck.

Try checking the cables, at the motherboard, and on the drive, as they could have slipped out somehow. After checking them thoroughtly, I would assume that the drive is bad. Just get a new one, they are no more than 20 dollars brand new. Check ebay or a local computer shop.

To take another view based on this limited information - perhaps his work has just disabled access to that drive for its employees.

That could be, but I'm not sure why a company would disallow employees to use their drives. I would think they are pretty important for daily operations. But maybe they have everything they need on the network, who knows. Good point SNGX

Thanks for the help. I will check the cables and see whats going on and if its a bad cd rom then i will get my boss to replace it. Thanks again.

Virginia

If your cables aren't UDMA-capable, you might try enabling PIO transfers on your drive. It will be a lot slower and use more CPU time, but your drive will work at least.

Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA ATAPI controllers -> Secondary IDE channel -> Advanced Settings

Change Primary device to PIO mode only.

i agree, i expect the drive has just been disabled but if it hasn't then you can try using a lens-claner cd first before replacing the whole thing.

If you have to buy a plain cd-rom drive, they are dirt cheap. At newegg.com they are about $13 to $15 plus shipping and tax (if any).

By the way, if you use the earphone jack on the front of the cd-rom drive itself, note that not all replacement cd-rom drives come with an earphone jack anymore. Some still do, so just something to watch for maybe.

Don't you just hate when that happens? :) Maybe I should add that to the things-you-hate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back