My clock speed has been halfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyj131

I recently bought a new pc from a computer fair, the processer is a 2.5 ghz amd. Only ive recently noticed in boot up it says 1.25ghz and the same in the system information? Im sure it hasnt always been like this. I havent changed anything except the display settings. What could have caused this and more importantly how can i fix it?

First, your AMD isn't really 2.5Ghz. It's a 2500+, which runs like a 2.5GHz CPU... But it is not.

So the real speed of your CPU is probably somewhere around 1.9-2.0GHz.

I think the second problem is your bus speed has been set lower. Not sure why this would happen, but you should be running at least a 133MHz FSB.

It works this way: CPU multiplier x FSB

Although many boards work independantly of the FSB these days to determine CPU speed.

An XP2500+ uses the Barton Core running on a 166Mhz FSB with an 11x Multiplier = 1.83Ghz (1826Mhz)

it may be that the motherboards CMOS, probably due to a failed boot of some kind, in which case the motherboards default bus speed is likely to be 133Mhz X 11 = 1463Mhz

In order to correct this, enter the BIOS and under the advanced chipset settings (or similar) change the FSB Speed (or BUS speed) from 133Mhz to 166Mhz.

First you say its 2.5Ghz and now you say its 2.8GHz, gotta love those noobs. Check "system" under control panel and tell us exactly what the precessor type is. You can also check in the "device manager" under "hardware" in the control panel. My AMD is a 1600+ but that doesn't mean its 1.6GHz, it is actually 1.4GHz.

Really, first 2.5GHz now 2.8GHz.

mattyj131: They dont even make 2.5 or 2.8 gig or GHz AMD cpu's, so you dont have either!\

if im not mistaken the way AMD names thare CPU is by performance ratings,,like the XP-2800+ runs at 2.08ghz but i performs like an Intel 2.8ghz (256kb) P4,i mite add the AMD Barton XP-2800+ has 512kb on-die cache.@333mhz FSB. zoom zoom
if you like speed & bang for the buck!! Go AMD!!

i think the other AMD bartons (not XP) 2800+ run 2.13GHz and has 266MHz FSB, that is what i heard. and ya i think your right with the spec raider. and as for the 2.8 AMD i think the most GHz in an AMD is 2.4 and you can exspect to shell out around 700. eeek:eek:

Originally posted by STK
i think the other AMD bartons (not XP) 2800+ run 2.13GHz and has 266MHz FSB, that is what i heard. and ya i think your right with the spec raider. and as for the 2.8 AMD i think the most GHz in an AMD is 12.4 and you can exspect to shell out around 700. eeek:eek:

the thoroughbred B 2800+ run at 2.25Ghz with a 333Mhz FSB. Probably 20 of them were made

From my research the "thoroughbred " XP-2800+ does run higher than my Barton but with less ON-DIE cache.
But thats neither hear nor thare AMD rules!
Im an Ex-Intel owner. the only thing that shocked me was the temp difference but all you AMD users helped me get over that ;)

Its been a cheap PC where, for some reason that I can't be bothered figuring out right now, they have chosen to lower the bus speed on purpose. Maybe its because they have used other components that can't handle it.

YOU obviously didn't do this as I can deduce from your other posts that you aren't at a stage where you would know how, and its not going to do this itself.

I bet you that if you try and crank that bus speed back up to what it should be, it will not boot up properly. Go into the BIOS and change it and see. It will not work because of the cheap motherboard or cheap RAM you have that just does not run at the advertised speed at all.

Beware cheap PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back