"My Computer" causing PC to stop responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am having a problem with "My Computer" not responding whenever I try to browze it. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I ran Symantec, spybot, and a-squared and nothing was found. I can browze other files and folders, but as soon as I go up to "My Computer" or as soon as "My Computer" appears in the folder list, the window I tried to access it in stops responding. The problem started occurring about five days ago and there is nothing I can think of that happened to trigger the problem (no new installs, abnormal web browsing, etc.)

If I start the computer in safe mode I do not have the problem. I assume since windows explorer runs properly in safe mode that the problem is being caused by something that loads in normal mode. How do I figure out what is causing the problem?

Here is what I have tried so far:
- I have restored to a time before the problem occurred.
- I have run registry mechanic on the system.
- I have disabled all third party startup items under msconfig
- I have run ShellExView and stopped all third party extensions

some software if used illigally will run till the crack expires then it will cause system crashs like this.
will also update and check reg keys and start all kinds of problems.
you not use pirated software,sorry then
corrupt explorer.exe???

Samstoned,

No pirated software.

If Explorer.exe is corrupted, how do I tell/repair it? I am beginning to wonder if I may have to reinstall windows XP (ohh, the horror).

if you have the original disc you can expand the ex_ file or look online for a good version
if you dwnld from internet ,trusted site only
you want to use disc
cmd line expand d:/i386/explorer.ex_ windows/explorer.exe d is the place where your disc is at
best to open taskman and shut dwn explorer first
leave tasman running
start new task cmd here is where you run expand
you can expand somewhere else and copy it to where the original is
always back up the origianl by changing the exe to bak
do not change to something else ,may corrupt file
spk 2 is supposed to fix this error did you do upgrade to spk2 recently???
if you need a screen shot I may be able to make one up for you

Samstoned,

I actually installed SP2 a long time ago (not too long after it came out).

I tried your suggestion about replacing the explorer.exe file from the Windows XP cd, but that didn't fix the problem either. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back