My computer does not boot up, could this be my CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thnx for reading

My computer will not boot up. When i turn it on all the fans whirl as they should, but there is no beep or sign of life on my monitor. I have brand new replaced mobo, video card, mem and hard drive. Power supply seems to be working as it should, i tested it on another PC. The only thing I havent replaced is the cpu.

Ive tried reseting the CMOS and reseting my power supply as suggested in other threads, but still nothing.

My question is could this problem be due to my CPU or should i still atleast get an error message from my bios? (If so, what do I do??)

Specs:
Athlon 3700+
Corsair 512x2
A8N-SLI Deluxe
BFG 7800 OC 256 MB
Cooler Master 430 Watt ATX Form Factor Supply

Have you tested the videocard on another computer? If there is no signal on the monitor then its probably the video card.

Your monitor may also be defective, but not likely. Try that out on another PC as well.

As I'm not the most experienced tech.. Wait until some of the other techies here reply as well.

Edit: looks like USA beat me to the reply.. but yes, generally what he said is correct.

OK tried that, still nothing.

Ive used two video cards in the board so i dont think its that.
The monitor works on a different computer, it is rather old but working. It has VGA input so i had to use DVI to VGA, but dont think should matter. also doesnt matter which plug from the video card i use right? i tried both, but just curious.

I checked all the connections, they look fine.

Again CPU is only thing i havent replaced, could CPU fail cause no boot up?

Thnx

In my experience the CPU is the last thing to fail. If possible try it on another motherboard.

If you can't try it elsewhere, then disconect everything and leave the video card(if integrated better), the memory, power, CPU and monitor, the minimum required to get the POST screen. If you have more than one stick, just leave one of them conected. Try putting the memory in different banks. Make sure the memory is firmly in there. If still failing to POST, move the memory slightly to make sure it does have good contact in its socket.

If still failing to POST, then I would suspect it's the motherboard and not the CPU, specially if it has never been overclocked or abused in any way. That said it is still possible for it(the CPU) to just fail.

In this kind of situation you will really apreciate a good motherboard, like most Epoxs, that have some kind of display or way of letting you know what the problem is at startup. If possible get the latest manual for your motherboard.

Hope this helps.

compres

My guess is the motherboard is fried. Mine recently blew a transistor near one of the memory slots. I know the power supply is good but nothing turns on. I don't get any video.

I had a similar experience twice. In the first case I fried a resistor on the motherboard, the second time it was the cpu, so that makes it 50/50 fir me. Try a different mobo, so you can find the bad part.

Yeah, its probably something besides the cpu. In the rare instance I've found cpus to go bad, it usually doesn't cause the computer not to boot. It usually just leads to an unstable system. Just my 2 pennies.

oh holy cow

and what ya know its ya power supply
i bet its ya power supply the lower voltage rail maybe fried
wich will result in what your are experiancing :chef:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back