My Computer Doesn't Start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PontiacMan

Yes, Hi I have a HP Pavillion 9800 I mean I turn it on like a normal computer and it shows Can't detect Windows OS Operating System. I tried putting in a Windows XP Professional SP2 CD disc in there but when I turn on the computer and now it shows can't detect harddrive. Does anybody know any solutions on how to fix this problem? I would really need your help thanks.

Hard Drive Test

Open the computer and see what brand name Hard Drive you have. Download the hard drive test for that particular brand- you will have to make a floppy- and boot to it. Run the test. This will let you you know the physical defects, if any of the hard drive.

Download the test from here-

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

can you give more details?
what os did you have on the machine before?
are you trying to install xp on top of another os that's already on the machine?

Alternatively if you have any linux live cd, you can boot off of it, and test the hard drive there. It will try to detect it, and if it is successful, you can use "cfdisk" / "fdisk" and "hdparm" to further diagnose it.

The suggestion made earlier about getting diagnostic tools specifically from the manufacturer, is a good one. Give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back