My computer freezes intermitently

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake-the-peg

I am jake-the-peg, a computer enthusiat and new to the Forum. I have a problem with my computer, in that it freezes intermitently for about 15 secs at any given time then releases (similar problem was posted on the Forum in Nov 2006 by "inmydefence", but I don't know the eventual outcome). This problem happens regardless of what function I am performing on the computer, but becomes more annoying, especially when performing video capture from my video camera to my computer for editing, as the capture is interupted and saved.
I have rebuilt this computer at least 3 times, and have changed every component in the computer (motherboard, CPU, hard drives, memory Rams, Graphic cards etc) the same number of times, in my quest to solve this intermitent freeze-up. I have even taken it to the Computer Shop/Engineers to solve the problem, but they have not been able to encounter the problem and have reformatted the hard drive and reloaded the softwares. Immediately I took the computer home the problem manifested itself (it's like a nightmare). I am running Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 Pro, Norton Internet Security 2006 (scans do not show any Adwares, virus etc), Power DVD 7, Nero 6 etc, wireless keyboard & mouse(but have also tried direct keyboard & mouse) and accesses the internet via Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (I use the same Router & softwares for my other computer, which was bought as 2nds from same computer shop, but no freeze-up on that computer). I have spent an awful lot of money & time, in the last 5 months, in my quest to solve this freeze-up. Please can anyone help. Thanks
............................................................................................................................................

UPDATE: I have been checking various things on the computer in an effort to solve this problem. I am using ASUS P5P800 MOBO with an Intel pentium D 2.80GHz processor. I recently checked the CRUCIAL memory module chart against my MOBO to see it's recommendation, and it showed Memory module (PC 3200 DDR) speed of 400MHz and above. Could the fact that I am using memory modules (PC 3200 DDR) of 200MHz speed be the cause of the freeze up? Is the memory module speed a factor?

I know this is a terrible thing to say. But it sounds like nothing in that computer is the same as it was when you first bought it. In a technical view, it doesn't make any sense. There is no reason for this to keep on happening. It could be a program conflict, maybe something is running that you don't know. The list goes on and on.

more like a hardware issue to me. Could be a faulty component.
Hard to identify. troubleshooting will require removal of components/ replacement until problem goes away. Of course you can't remove the CPU and motherboard. If you swap the CPU, and it works, then you know the CPU is the problem. But it may be cheaper to get a new CPU and or motherboard.
your call.

Hi kitty, Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried various memory tests, including the memtest suggested from this Forum. I even carried out the test for 2 days, just in case, and there were no errors reported.

Hi,

I'm no expert on this, but since you claim you have tried everything (including changing all the hardware), the computer shop does not encounter your problem whilst you left it there and it does not seem to be a malware related issue, it only seems intuitive that the problem lies at your workplace/home where the system is.

So perhaps you could do a physical check on everything at home, cables, your network service provider, power supply, everything... or any possible nearby installations that could possibly interfere with anything. (sounds paranoid but why not since you've already spent so much effort and money)

You might also wish to check/take note when and how the freezes occur, and what happens immediately before, during, and after them.
Hope you find the source of your problems. Good luck.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back