My computer keeps freezing, any idea why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xain

i have a small question for a big annoyance,

i had a problem with the computer not long ago, and i took it to get it fixed, in which what im told a new mother board and power supply were put in, and after hooking everything back up i noticed that every once in a while the computer would just freeze up so i would like to know why if anyone knows.

thank you for your time.

Take it back and tell them that this "freezing",is unacceptable.Demand that they fix the problem ,or kindly refund what you payed them.And by all means,find a new place to get your puter fixed.:grinthumb

Is the replacement motherboard exactly the same as the old one?
If not, check that all the new mobo-specific drivers are installed. If not, do so.

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm having the same problem.

I checked for blaster worm, and I'm clear..... So I wonder if it's my power supply. I was hoping it would be as easy as checking to see if the fan is working the next time it freezes, but it's not appearing to be that simple.

About 4 weeks ago my computer started acting up. It was slowing down, then shutting down. Sometimes it would freeze. I thought I had a virus. I upgraded all my anti-virus and checked for problems (using AVG, pc-chillin and housecall), and they didnt seem to be a problem. I burned as much as I could and did a full format and clean install. That didn't help either. I had my parts tested at my friends shop and everything worked fine except for the motherboard. So I got a new motherboard and processor (exact same motherboard and processor) and I installed it all. My computer isn't slowing down now, instead it just freezes - sometimes up to 20 times over 5 hours. The freezing is totally unpredictable! I've gone back and made sure that I have all the correct updated drivers and updates to all applications. I've unplugged all the wires and then plugged them back in. I then replaced all the wires. I have taken out all the unneeded accessories and tested them in the machine one by one (sound card, modem, MIC, cd-rw, cd-rom, A:, mouse, keyboard). I have switched between 2 hard drives to eliminate those as the problem too. I chahnged my power cable. But I still can't find the problem!

Now I'm practically sitting here withe the case open waiting for it to freeze again so I can take a good look at the fans to see if they are working or not. Is it possible that my power supply would pass a DC test but still be having power failures?

I'm running out of options to try... Can anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks!

_Decz

Check the capacitors around where the 20-pin connector from the PSU is located.
If any of them have a "bulging" or "rounded" cap, or are leaking fluid, you have your culprit. This may have been the same problem as on the old mobo.

If not that sometimes the memory sticks are not making contact when machine
warms up.
hardware failure is tough to fig. out without spare parts or good diagnostics checker
I had a tyan MB with amd it locked up on average after running 10 minutes and sometimes as soon as I opened more than 3 programs did not fig. that one out
solved the problem got rid of system.
worked on a Abit MB that had your symptoms had a cluster of bad caps all round the CPU.

Nothing wrong with the capacitors... Could my ram be making a slow death?
The part that bugs me the most is that my computer ran perfectly for almost 13 months, then suddenly it went bonkers. It turns out I had a tonne of viruses & worms....not sure how that happened, I've been very good with keeping my anit-virus and firewall up to date. I got tired of trying to fix the attack, so I just formatted my HD and did a full clean install. When I went to turn my computer back on, that's when all this started happening. I replaced the MB and CPU..... Is it possible that the problem is with my HD? or my ram?

I updated Win XP 2 nights ago, and the freezing has been happening less frequently. I was hoping it was a coincidence. My comp has only frozen 4 times in the last 2 days.. Normally it's 4 times every 2 hours. But it's still happening... :( I am running AVG free, and PC-cillin, and Zone Alarm firewall.

Have you checked ye ole Event Log? If you see bunches of errors in the system log or app log my next question may be related to windows...and clean installs...

Yeah, there are a bunch of errors and warnings.. but not as manyt as the computer has been freezing, only about half. If it's software related I have no idea what it means............

Well.. I was installed software last night and my computer kept freezing. I rebooted two separate times... The second time there was a weird noise, a spark and a horrible smell. My Ram is fried!! The slot it was in is slightyl melted - I doubt it can be used again...but there's two more so I'm not sweating yet... My ram is black and melted in one tiny spot, so I am assuming it is toast.

Could my ram have been the issue all along? A slow death maybe that was creating this whole mess?

Is my (new) motherboard going to work? How can I check?

I will get new ram tomorrow or saturday.. is it safe to plug it in to the motherboard and boot up my computer?

Thanks,

_Decz.

update

Hey, just an update... my computer is working again! YAY!
Turns out the jumpers on my new motherboard were not correctly labeled.... Once we figured that out and switched things around it all came back to life!

hi, my computer keeps freezing whenever it wants to and i dont no why can any1 help? below is a list of specs for my comp, have a look at it if you want to help, oh and the computer's case has a sticker on the front saying it was built for 98 would that be a problem?

System Model: 217271A
System Manufacturer: IBM
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel Pentium III, 500MHz
Memory: 128MB (SDRAM)
Page File: 124MB used, 182MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce2 MX//MX 400
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B2
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: IBM 6547
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.13.0010.2958 (English)
DDI Version: 8
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/29/2002 13:11:10, 3494303 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/29/2002 08:46:30, 891711 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4250-11CF-3E68-0A2010C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0110
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x00B2
Revision ID: 0x00B2
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Drive: C:
Free Space: 3.8 GB
Total Space: 6.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST36421A

Drive: D:
Free Space: 5.0 GB
Total Space: 6.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST36421A

Drive: F:
Model: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.1106 (English), 3/31/2003 21:30:00, 47488 bytes

Please help

I am 15 i like to fix computer i have bulit my own but i have stumbel up aginst a problem on my family computer it keep freezing/crashing it doesnt restart jsut stay as it shud be but i cant do anything move mouse nothing i have tryied rebooting a new ram new power supply i just dont now please

help by the way it is a tiny pc

thanks you

ok my computer has been freezing for about two days now it started as about 1-2 hour intervals and i started it up this morning and i literally cant even open my anti virus software to attempt to detect a possible virus it sometimes even freezes before i can log onto my user this is extreamly frustrating what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back